Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Calling Grufty Jim (& the rest of you 2)

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Re: when used correctly & securely
Nov 12, 2002, 15:57
This may be another urban myth since its from memory and I again don't have the time to verify it, but I seem to remember a recent law that allows the security services to demand a key and threaten the person they have coerced from warning anyone. RIP? Given that, it wouldn't be reported as unsecure since anyone who was able to be coerced would be unlikely to deliberately risk listing a key as untrusted. I don't mean this as criticism of PGP, just a contribution to your safe practices, an innocuous prearranged warning would seem prudent. (Something else you haven't mentioned is encrypting your hard disk. No point in encrypting a message when a copy of it is sitting unencrypted in a temp file or cache).

"Pretty much any half-decent tech-head could unearth such a trojan on a machine and remove it"
I am an MCSE with 17 years experience in various operating systems and I wouldn't trust my own abilities to identify and remove trojans.
Judging from personal experience and recent arrests, too many people are too confident of their own abilities in this. I would even suggest that the NSA build backdoors into every operating system.
Without going into this in too much depth, I would suggest that a clean install on the system partition of a multi partition machine using say Ghost is far from overkill. Keep your system partition small enough to fit on a CD ( 2.5 Gb fits with high compression). I know activists who see this as 'underkill' and I trust those activists more for their skepticism. It only takes 10 minutes once its set up, and is definitely good practice.

A faraday cage around your screen would be sufficent until they can read thoughts. (I'm working on a Faraday cage geodesic dome, as a chillout place for overstimulated hippies).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index