Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Calling Grufty Jim (& the rest of you 2)

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

WWIII will be the last war
Nov 09, 2002, 23:11
Ta for your input, please respond again for it is troubling me deeply.

For a start I am not prepared yet to kill or even risk hurting people directly to save Iraqi lives, except my own. I am however prepared to contemplate indirect deaths, to argue about it, and to discuss it. Just like Chomsky is, just like Gandhi was, just like many better folk than me have before. For instance I personally believe that is is possible if Blair choked on a pretzel tonight, we might be less likely to attack Iraq.

You are right, my proposed action would bring the wrath of the state down and an attempt would be made by the media to vilify every dissenter as a terrorist. In fact the mechanisms for that are already in place. Since I have thought long and hard about this I can think of even worse possible repercussions. Just as the attempt on Hitlers life by Ribentrop had dire consequences for internal opposition to Hitler though that attempt was worthy in itself imo.

You also doubt the effectiveness of the action in stopping the invasion of Iraq. So do I. Its just I have just never witnessed any action as effective as the one I propose, which is basically a rerun of an action that was carried out successfully recently - without a single death. Not one death yet government policy was changed because this nation was stuck in petrol station queues. Not I realise that won't happen this time, but it will bring the war home to all the morons who drive but don't know Iraq from Israel. They may look at a map after that.

Now if you can suggest a more effective, less dangerous action then I am all ears. Perhaps if it was your mother that was about to be cluster bombed, your children that were going to be mutated by DU shells then you would have less qualms about a few possible, unlikely, deaths here. I am not doubting the analysis or commitment of people who disagree with me on this, I am genuinely unsure myself and I realise I'm not qualified to act alone ( though I could I won't).

I am not talking about stopping uniforms being made, I am talking about the same sort of effect that the Dambusters mission intended ( in vain). An impedement to our military, a blow to our economy and a show of unity with the Iraqi people.

And quite frankly I realise that the sort of actions I have participated in so far are nothing more than ineffectual PR compared to the damage I could really cause.

We get all these phony terrorist warnings every day. On my first arrest two middle aged people swam onto a Trident sub, painted it and rang a bell. If they were Al Quaeda then Glasgow would not exist. As they were pacifists the story was forgotten, its significance lost instead of the city.

Now we are preparing for an unjust war for oil. How can I impede this ? My MPs can't vote on the issue. Public opinion is ignored and manipulated by lies. Waiting until the war starts is too late. Hitting military bases won't succede during war. Hitting the petrol stations is the best option I have just now, except perhaps for trying to kill Blair which I am not yet prepared to consider and not as likely to pull off. Like Jim said, the infrastructure is vunerable. The best metaphor I can think of just now is if some stranger was being beaten up by a big gang of youths. I might claim that I didn't try and defend the victim in case I harmed one of the youths, or a bystander got hurt, but I would have to acknowledge my own fear of injury. I think many pacifists are cowards, and I say that knowing the bravest people I know are pacifists.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index