90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jan 11, 2015, 18:59
Re: Jihadists meet satire with bullets
Jan 11, 2015, 18:50
While I don't think killing of any kind is in any justifiable, it doesn't hurt to try a bit of empathy here. People have a tendency to co-opt religion as a bit of an invisible tool they can turn to on those rare times when they need to, and keep out of sight and out of mind all the rest of the time. They don't delve any further than that. If you really, truly believe in your faith, though, to the point where it informs everything you do, life on earth becomes a transitory thing and abiding by the tenets of the faith becomes your everything. I can relate to the latter 'tude more than the former, personally. It seems lazy and weak to believe in something of that magnitude but not make any changes or compromises whatsoever in your approach to it. It's like having a magical bedside drawer full of all the power of the Infinite Universal Oneness you can dip into once every six months or so, and pretty much forget about the rest of the year. We're talking about true believers here, and they may be a worrisome breed for the rest of us, but they have the nobility of someone seeing something to its realisation, too. Like the dewd in the article said, the vast, vast, vast majority of them go about their faith in their own, quiet fashion, but imagine if you truly believe this all-powerful deity who fashioned us all is being continually ridiculed and slighted. This deity is not a man-made concept, not one God of many you've pulled out of a hat, but the most powerful entity that ever existed and ever will. A good chunk of France seems to fucking hate Muslims right now, and there's this one screed in particular whose lifeblood is ripping into the one thing you love more than anything in the world. It's appalling that this handful of people would take any lives, but you can see why a true believer, and not just in a half-cooked Western kind of way, would be incensed. I've read the Qur'an, and while I do think it reads like one mad bloke's protracted, particularly intense fever dream, it explicitly says to be patient with anyone who has any bad words to say about Islam. These maddened individuals went against the text, so don't lay the blame of this particular incident at the doors of Islam.

"Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from thy Lord, (their punishment) must necessarily have come; but there is a Term appointed (for respite).

"Therefore be patient with what they say, and celebrate (constantly) the praises of thy Lord, before the rising of the sun, and before its setting; yea, celebrate them for part of the hours of the night, and at the sides of the day: that thou mayest have (spiritual) joy."

"But leave them in their confused ignorance"

"(Allah has knowledge) of the (Prophet's) cry, "O my Lord! Truly these are people who will not believe!
"But turn away from them, and say "Peace!" But soon shall they know!"

"And bear patiently what they say and avoid them with a becoming avoidance.
And leave Me and the rejecters, the possessors of ease and plenty, and respite them a little."

"Say : O ye that reject Faith!
I worship not that which ye worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
To you be your Way, and to me mine."
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index