Jihadists meet satire with bullets

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jihadists meet satire with bullets
Jan 08, 2015, 03:30
These witless fundamentalists, these humorless, deeply insecure murderers, will not win. They can strike blows against the culture of free expression, they can spill the blood of cartoonists, they can cut the heads off journalists, they can execute those who try to leave their extreme interpretation of faith, but they will not win.

Keep laughing.... it is a weapon that the killers who struck today, and their ilk, will never be able to beat. It's a defense they will never overrun. Their medievalism will be their own downfall.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Jihadists meet satire with bullets
Jan 08, 2015, 09:16
I still think they're an extreme minority- but still a very human minority created not by religion but by bombs- and we're being made to see terrorists in our crisp packets and in our cornflakes. You can't indiscriminately kill hundreds of thousands of Muslims without consequences. We've given their victims names, but our own victims are just nebulous clumps of flesh. We're being lead to believe, by a non-stop media onslaught in which ex mental patients-cum-bombers are being tarred with the terrorist brush, that these are all dyed-in-the-wool extremists who were spawned from the crust of the earth with no origin, as angels and demons sell, and stories about hurt, twisted, hardened humans with complicated, painful back-stories involving death and poverty don't.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 14:09
Sin Agog wrote:
I still think they're an extreme minority- but still a very human minority created not by religion but by bombs- and we're being made to see terrorists in our crisp packets and in our cornflakes. You can't indiscriminately kill hundreds of thousands of Muslims without consequences. We've given their victims names, but our own victims are just nebulous clumps of flesh. We're being lead to believe, by a non-stop media onslaught in which ex mental patients-cum-bombers are being tarred with the terrorist brush, that these are all dyed-in-the-wool extremists who were spawned from the crust of the earth with no origin, as angels and demons sell, and stories about hurt, twisted, hardened humans with complicated, painful back-stories involving death and poverty don't.

The more this happens the less it can be blamed on a small minority. Unfortunately this brutality is becoming more frequent and his happening all over the world. I feel for those who died this time in France at the hands of a hate filled murderous group of scum.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 15:28
I 'get' where you're coming from, however, the violence perpetrated by would-be defenders of Mohammed is not all a reaction to western hegemony, nor is it all directed at westerners.
Islamic fascism for the most part victimizes Islam! Muslim deaths are primarily not the work of the west, but of other Muslims.
This is not strictly a 'west vs. east' struggle, not at all. Shiite vs. Sunni, Sunni vs. Shiite, Sunni vs. Sufi, etc.... the extremists mostly target other Muslims, not westerners. So while I'm with you in regards to acknowledging western complicity in the middle east's troubles, I will never agree that violence against people who's 'crime' is satire is warranted, or that attacks on other non-military innocents is warranted.
Extremists who blow up or shoot or behead innocents, journalists, cartoonists, or any other non-military person don't qualify for my sympathy, nor should they for you. I say this with the clarification that I'm not particularly sympathetic to those who 'just follow orders' and disrupt whole nations, leaving them open to worse fates at the hands of thugs like ISIL.
And as for those who gladly spill blood for whatever cause... religious, nationalist, or just because they get their jollies killing brown foreigners, I have total contempt.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 15:39
"stories about hurt, twisted, hardened humans with complicated, painful back-stories involving death and poverty"

Some who sign up to the cause may fit this description, but many are from middle-class or even well off families. Bin Laden was no scrappy survivor of violence, he was a rich man's son.

And what about westerners flying off to join up with ISIL? Can they claim to have 'painful back stories'?

I think it's disingenuous to believe that all terrorism is the product of victimization... and it becomes a slippery slope to extend too much credence to killers. Many of these people are not out for righteous revenge, they are simply criminals, ala Boko Haram.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 15:42
handofdave wrote:
I 'get' where you're coming from, however, the violence perpetrated by would-be defenders of Mohammed is not all a reaction to western hegemony, nor is it all directed at westerners.
Islamic fascism for the most part victimizes Islam! Muslim deaths are primarily not the work of the west, but of other Muslims.
This is not strictly a 'west vs. east' struggle, not at all. Shiite vs. Sunni, Sunni vs. Shiite, Sunni vs. Sufi, etc.... the extremists mostly target other Muslims, not westerners. So while I'm with you in regards to acknowledging western complicity in the middle east's troubles, I will never agree that violence against people who's 'crime' is satire is warranted, or that attacks on other non-military innocents is warranted.
Extremists who blow up or shoot or behead innocents, journalists, cartoonists, or any other non-military person don't qualify for my sympathy, nor should they for you. I say this with the clarification that I'm not particularly sympathetic to those who 'just follow orders' and disrupt whole nations, leaving them open to worse fates at the hands of thugs like ISIL.
And as for those who gladly spill blood for whatever cause... religious, nationalist, or just because they get their jollies killing brown foreigners, I have total contempt.

Furthermore to rationalize the senseless killing of people and to turn the finger and point the blame to the west as if to say , well you asked for it is exactly the train of thought these thug bastards have.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 15:43
Its at war with liberal democracy. 9/11 was the most successful terrorist attack ever as it succeeded in its aims and made the west suspend its own values or made them selective - whether you were a Muslim or not.

This latest attack, like the attack on Lee Rigby, is targeted at making the west further abandon its own liberal values - especially in light of the recent heart searching over the role of security services in the wake of 9/11. These terrorists are not stupid, their campaign is far more subtle than is being admitted. To engage in their violence, to target Muslims or treat them differently or with an inherent suspicion is to hand the terrorists victory.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2015, 15:46
Jan 08, 2015, 15:45
billding68 wrote:
handofdave wrote:

Furthermore to rationalize the senseless killing of people and to turn the finger and point the blame to the west as if to say , well you asked for it is exactly the train of thought these thug bastards have.

Exactly. Not to mention... What is the ultimate goal of these killers? Is it to restore their nations as peaceful, free societies? Hardly! As evidenced by the Taliban, AQ, Boko Haram, or ISIL.... they seek to impose the most thuggish and hardline variants of Islam's worst impulses on their own people.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 15:56
I find this despicable and I hope those responsible find out they're going to hell when they die.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 08, 2015, 15:59
Bin Laden's stated goal was to get the west to bankrupt itself economically and morally, and the power-that-be, the corporate-military complex, played right into his scheme...

To refocus, tho, on the killing of comic satirists... No amount of objective rationalizing is going to convince me that those murders have a shred of justification.

Extremists who feel the need to mow down people for expressing an opinion are the nadir of a civilized society... any society. I will never, ever be so foolish as to grant them a pass for murdering innocents, outspoken or no.

Trying to concoct justifications for killing innocents is just wrong. It's wrong for the west to do so, and it's wrong for the jihadis to do so. Trying to validate any murder of innocent people is a one-way ticket to some very dangerous thought and action.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index