99 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Bragg on Brand
Oct 28, 2014, 20:02
tjj wrote:
Somebody whose opinion I usually value today said Russell Brand is not a force for good ... is there anybody out there in public life who is a force for good. We have the Green Party on the margins is all.

I've changed my view of Russell Brand a lot over the last couple of years, mainly because of the Trews and the fact that he uses his "notoriety" (for want of a better word) to make a lot of points that a lot of other people - like Billy Bragg even, in some cases - might shy away from making. He's pretty spot on with most of his targets and causes, in my view.

I don't personally agree with his "no vote" stance, although I understand and admire the sentiments behind it. For me, too many people died getting me the right to vote to not use it whenever I can. I have a Green MEP now, and I don't believe the democratic process itself is broken, despite the paucity of choice from the three centre parties - people need to move away from the idea that some votes are "wasted".

I also think that the Referendum on Scotland was a brilliant example of how a sufficiently strong cause is capable of engaging almost the entire electorate (on both sides of the debate). It would be great to see that level of engagement in politics across the whole country come next May. People like Russell Brand may help to interest some people in politics who otherwise wouldn't care.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index