99 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 27, 2014, 22:03
Re: Bragg on Brand
Oct 27, 2014, 20:27
Hello, hope you don't mind me dropping by to comment on Russell Brand. I like him a lot though didn't see the controversial Newsnight programme. I did hear most of "Start the Week" this morning and thought it a very appropriate mix of guests. Juliet Barker talking about the "Great Revolt" (Peasants Revolt) was particularly apt - its an important piece of English history that's not about kings and queens. I'm proud of the fact the town hall in the town I live in is called Watt Tyler House - the now Tory council hasn't so far changed it (perhaps they're scared of another revolt). Russell Brand was respectful and restrained in his interaction with all the guests this morning - though I didn't hear the end bit as had to go out. I'm not sure if Russell Brand in himself can effect change - perhaps he should join forces with the Green Party who are a gentle, sensible breed though a bit too quietly spoken for their own good. Caroline Lucas was on the Andrew Marr programme on Sunday morning reviewing the papers and was basically drowned out by the two overbearing male guests sitting on the same sofa. She could do with a Russell Brand on her side.

I disagree with Billy Bragg (who I greatly admire) in likening Russell Brand to the Beatles - especially John Lennon. That was another lifetime, another planet and the Beatles had become millionaires. We were still living under the protection of the NHS at its best, young people leaving school found work easily, university was grant funded. We still had a working class that was proud to work and who had work.

Russell Brand is articulate and intelligent ... but the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned and even if revolution was to happen (it wouldn't be bloodless for sure) we would still ultimately end up back at the ballot box.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index