Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2014, 14:40
Re: Tory party conference
Sep 30, 2014, 14:37
grufty jim wrote:

And now Cameron has come out in favour of a return to teaching Imperial units in schools. Seriously. That's just bizarre... in the modern interconnected world, where damn near every manufactured item is assembled from parts made in multiple countries, the British Prime Minister wants to adopt an obsolescent system of measurements that nobody else uses. Wow.

Along with the move to withdraw from Europe and the rise of UKIP, Britain is starting to appear scarily backward-looking and insular. And yet every single British person I know - to a person - is dismayed by this. Do I just know people from a small minority, I wonder? Does the mainstream of British public opinion support all this? And if not, why hasn't Labour staked out a distinct set of policies for itself instead of fighting over the same ground?

Hi, as someone who thanks to the democratic will of the majority can still call themselves British (or UK-ish, not as catchy though) I can say I utterly agree.

It is scarily backward looking and insular to leave a union that for all its flaws and shenanigans has served everyone within it reasonably well, or at least as well as can be expected whilst 'the bastards' are still in charge.

Now we could have of course left one union (and got a whole new fresh set of bastards) and joined another larger one instead but since the founding principles of that larger union is about 'reinforcing unity' I can't see how any newcomer would fit in round the table especially if forced to sit next to the one union it just basically told to 'sod off'.

Now both the UK and the EU needs a fair bit of tweaking, probably, and since it's on the cards up here in Scotland with devo-whatever (BTW I was always voting 'no' regardless) I am sure the same will happen re the EU and Dave's proposed in/out ref which will no doubt be watered down as to not mean exactly what it says, just 'should we keep this, or that' etc.

And anyways I can't see Dave making one of his chums unemployed any time soon, can you?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/european-commission-tory-peer-economic-post

x

U-Know! Forum Index