The Gods Are Angry...

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

The Gods Are Angry...
Oct 22, 2002, 11:40
Yet again Scotland finds itself cut off from the rest of 'Great' Britain by floods. Remember when they used to say global warming would ruin the planet for our children's children? I cannot remember the last year we got all the proper seasons I'm used to, or at least I expect.

Anyone know a good site for comparative stats on this kinda thing?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: The Gods Are Angry...
Oct 22, 2002, 18:52
...and 15 quakes in Manchester (thus far) in the last 24 hours. Gods are in a right strop.
Estelle
89 posts

Gardener's Diary...
Oct 24, 2002, 15:46
Even Alan Titchmarch was commenting on how the gardening advice for this time of year was radically different from 10 years ago.
Most available books repeat 'traditional' seasonal tasks for each month, which horticulturalists and growers are advised to follow. It's hugely wrong now.
The trees are very confused, some are attempting to flower twice a year and therefore getting damaged. This week I had to decide whether it was worth following the advice on a seed packet, printed last year. I didn't.
Producing crops outdoors is becoming very difficult because the timing is based on predictable patterns of temperature and light level. Which are no longer present. This means that commercial growers who produce with maximum intensity and artificial light will continue to produce crops, on schedule, for sale. While an organic, or less intensive grower, is going to be, commercially, at an increasing disadvantage because of this unseasonality.
I'm currently reading victorian manuals on growing 'out of season'.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Re: Gardener's Diary...
Oct 24, 2002, 16:11
My mother pointed out a flower to me in her garden this morning. I can't remember it's real name but I'm sure it's what we used to call a snapdragon. Anyway whatever it was it's supposed to bloom in spring, and there it is, bold as brass, in the middle of the herb garden.
Hmmm....
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: The Gods Are Angry...
Oct 24, 2002, 20:43
I'll see if I can mail you the next few that come along. Mmmmm wobbly
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 11:02
yeah,know what you mean.
a few weeks ago i commented that there were sweetpeas in my garden,that were still flowering everyday.
they still are !!
notd8o)
ps,the snapdragons are called Antirrhinums(ANTI-RINE-UMS)
back to Alan in the studio !!
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 12:57
That's the one, me mum tells me off when I call them snapdragons, so I just do it more...Wierd though innit?
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 14:11
yep,get used to it though.its gonna get worse rather than better.soon there will be no "proper"winter/summer,just extreme temp changes.
notd<bringerofdoom>
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Oct 25, 2002, 16:48
And a Loch falling on your head every few weeks.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: The Gods Are Angrier...
Oct 25, 2002, 18:53
Not only have we now had over 50 tremors here in Manc, the last one a few mins ago, but this afternoon a colossal, huge kaBOOM of a thunderclap tore the sky apart. To add to the madness, it was very bright and sunny outside. Then minutes later the sky, while still sunny, it started hailing massive hailstones which then turned into monsoon style rain as the sky darkened. Then all was silence and twas sunny again, all in about 5 minutes.
Quiet and still at the moment...apart from the odd wobblyness.
Sounds like the gods are building up to one heck of a smitin'!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index