Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Rusell Brand - Revolutionist?????????????

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Re: Rusell Brand - Revolutionist?????????????
Oct 31, 2013, 06:41
Well, I don't think it's distasteful at all if you live in a constituency where you don't have a suitable independent. At least you're getting off your arse and excercising your hard fought for right to spoil your ballot paper. You're still making a political point.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Oct 31, 2013, 07:29
Re: Robert Webb's response.
Oct 31, 2013, 07:29
'Revolution ends in death camps, gulags, repression and murder '. How very cosy and English middle class, and wildly generalising and incorrect. If there isn't some major seismic change from the bottom up, and not through political engagement with any of the main parties, the horrors that he assigns to revolution are a distinct possibility in the coming years if the current paradigm continues its rampage. We'll have no civil liberties left. One only has to look at what is already beginning to happen. It's genuinely frightening.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Oct 31, 2013, 09:02
Captain Starlet wrote:
And he's spot on as well, apart from the vote Labour bit. Bland's an airhead he's not saying anything of substance whatsoever, just soundbites and buzz words, really wish people would stop taking him seriously

http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10/russell-choosing-vote-most-british-kind-revolution-there

Yes, read Webb this morning, would also add Jamie Bartlett to those who have spoken out about Brand..

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jamie-bartlett/russell-brand-politics_b_4163789.html

To vote or not to vote, always 'thrown' mine by voting for the Greens but have always noted that it is the "the same narrow elite drawn from the same narrow caste of actors" to quote Bartlett..
I can't agree with the logic of not voting, we just get the worst of the bunch in power, the sea change needing to happen is our choice, but not forgetting that canditates have to pay upfront to stand in their constituency.
And to answer Astral Cat, revolution will bring the forces both military and police to 'stand down' the protestors it will not be a pretty affair, even though a revolution is needed, but as Bartlett says "are we not in a pre-revolutionary stage" just look at the present policies being pulled apart..
Don't know the answer sadly...
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 31, 2013, 09:11
I believe in a revolution, but a revolution in the way we look at the world and ourselves is how I see that revolution being, not some armed uprising, which at the end of the day solves nothing, and raises the question as to what we replace this system with! Creates more problems than it solves really.

I like Webb's article, it's a lot more thought out that Brand's umming and erring looking for something relevant to say and failing badly. like I've said before if you need to be told a revolution's coming then you've already missed it as it's something in the hearts and minds of people not about people shouting about nothing.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Oct 31, 2013, 09:11
Charlie2300 wrote:

He's an arsehole - an intelligent and articulate one, but nonetheless an arsehole. His hyper-inflated opinion of himself says it all. The Andrew Sachs affair did it for me. He can spout revolution and some of what he says makes a lot of sense in that regard, but I'm not about to put him on a pedestal when his opinion of women is so low.

He seems to think women are ace so long as he 'fancies them'.
Perhaps some folks can't be arsed being accepted on the basis of how fanciable they are.
Of course we spruce ourselves up when we go out on the razz every two months or so (babysitter permitting in my case!), but for it to be a constant preoccupation is pretty dreary.
I got hair that goes shit if I don't was it every day and even if he told me 'oh you're still beautiful' I'd be like 'fuck off! I don't care!'
As for revolution...here...right now, nothing in this damn world is perfect. For some it's nothing but the depths of real horror from birth to death, so in the great big mess that is the human pile, I'm kind of grateful for what I've got (except my 'shit hair' days).
x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 31, 2013, 16:06
Think the guy's a self-aggrandising pillock meself. Can't understand why he gets so much kudos.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 31, 2013, 16:45
Popel Vooje wrote:
Think the guy's a self-aggrandising pillock meself. Can't understand why he gets so much kudos.

He has no kudos in the den.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 31, 2013, 20:07
Captain Starlet wrote:
I believe in a revolution, but a revolution in the way we look at the world and ourselves is how I see that revolution being, not some armed uprising, which at the end of the day solves nothing, and raises the question as to what we replace this system with! Creates more problems than it solves really.

I like Webb's article, it's a lot more thought out that Brand's umming and erring looking for something relevant to say and failing badly. like I've said before if you need to be told a revolution's coming then you've already missed it as it's something in the hearts and minds of people not about people shouting about nothing.

Agreed. I admired Brand's loquacious passion and that a debate has been ignited and that he will attract some to just 'look' at things, but Robert Webb's response is the better reasoned and, actually, also funnier (IMO). Nice work Mr Webb.
woolybaque
woolybaque
109 posts

Edited Nov 05, 2013, 15:31
Nov 05, 2013, 13:33
I too vote Green rather than not vote, but in the knowledge that should they ever achieve any measure of power, then the same corp(se)s that run all the major parties will likely run them too, and that I know not where the answer lies. I fought in the 80's and we lost. However, I do have sympathy for Brand, because no politician can stand the democratic illegitimacy that comes from a low turnout, it leaves 'em vulnerable, (Gil scott-Heron's B Movie said it). Not voting can be a de facto vote for not wanting to be associated in any way with the undemocratic abnegation of national sovereignty - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/04/us-trade-deal-full-frontal-assault-on-democracy - that is now common to all of the main parties. What does give me hope is that there is a substantial and growing counter culture...Occupy etc...establishing itself. I hope that the high profile likes of Brand associate themselves with that counter culture, having seen how the nature of our press was decisively influenced by the high profile and quite moral interventions of Grant & Coogan. I notice that Paxman himself is supporting Brand's analysis (don't laugh) of contemporary, established politics.
Revolution, by the way. I grew up in a liberal social democracy, part of a Europe of liberal social democracies. In the 80's, there was a revolution, of libertarian capital demagoguery, which is where we are now.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2013, 09:16
Nov 06, 2013, 09:14
woolybaque wrote:
I too vote Green rather than not vote, but in the knowledge that should they ever achieve any measure of power, then the same corp(se)s that run all the major parties will likely run them too, and that I know not where the answer lies. I fought in the 80's and we lost. However, I do have sympathy for Brand, because no politician can stand the democratic illegitimacy that comes from a low turnout, it leaves 'em vulnerable, (Gil scott-Heron's B Movie said it). Not voting can be a de facto vote for not wanting to be associated in any way with the undemocratic abnegation of national sovereignty - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/04/us-trade-deal-full-frontal-assault-on-democracy - that is now common to all of the main parties. What does give me hope is that there is a substantial and growing counter culture...Occupy etc...establishing itself. I hope that the high profile likes of Brand associate themselves with that counter culture, having seen how the nature of our press was decisively influenced by the high profile and quite moral interventions of Grant & Coogan. I notice that Paxman himself is supporting Brand's analysis (don't laugh) of contemporary, established politics.
Revolution, by the way. I grew up in a liberal social democracy, part of a Europe of liberal social democracies. In the 80's, there was a revolution, of libertarian capital demagoguery, which is where we are now.

Well I said to myself that I was not going to put anymore RB online, but the following whole hour link will perhaps give some insights into this comedian philosopher...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/04/russell-brand-revolution-_n_4213849.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

As for the Greens losing it in the 1980s, that was the time of the split, the Red/Green division, Wall and Kemp made a play for power and moderate liberals drifted away. It still makes me angry that a good political ideology was messed around with by individual arrogance....
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index