101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jshell
333 posts

Re: Fantasy Political Funeral
May 23, 2013, 08:34
stray wrote:
jshell wrote:

On another note and just reflecting: It's funny just how few of Thatchers policies were overturned by Labour afterwards.

In a lot of cases it was impossible to do so, as in reopening mines and relighting forges. Also its kind of difficult to reopen Docks for business again once they've been turned into retail experiences. Anyroad, yep, renationalisation was and still is an option for a lot of things. I mean we've kind of done it with the high street banks ;) Plus we'd save several billion quid that we pay in subsidies to these large Private Companies which would be a bonus.

Seriously though the Unions fucked it up in the 70s and did go too far. It all started to go wrong as far as I'm concerned at the Kodak Strike. No matter how good or right your motives are, you cannot call a strike and picket a workplace when the workers themselves there don't want to strike.

UKIP are in fact a clueless right wing party of clowns who are in thrall to the personality cult of Farage. Farage himself doesn't give a shit how mad his members are, as long as they get him power.

Anyone who thinks we could survive outside of the EU is seriously lacking in their understanding of modern economics. We rely on subsidies and quotas from the EU, in certain industries, just as much as any other EU country does.

Privatising many of the services was a complete disaster. Just look at the recent debacle over the mainline train services. Complete fuck up. However, the way things were was impossible to sustain due to in-efficiencies, spiraling costs and failure to be competitive. I'm all for partially subsidising jobs of real worth to the nation, but there is a limit to the resources.

Where to strike the balance? I'm not sure and as long as we have a 2-party system, the pendulum will just swing from side to side and we'll meander on without making the changes that need to happen.

On Europe I totally disagree. I want us out regardless of consequences as I think that trade will survive - it has to as we have a huge econoy and are Europes financial centre. We would have the autonomy to make it easy for large companies to come to the UK and set-up providing jobs like we don't have now. We, I think, get less back from Europe than we give. We'd be able to stop economic migration and actually rid ourselves of the settlers who cannot adhere to our laws. We'd be able to moderate those handcuffs that the criminal classes call their 'ooman roights'. I'm all for migration, but at sensible levels, and we must be able to remove those that prey on our way of life.

We also have to stop spending a fortune on illegal foreign military adventures and concentrate on our own problems.

The US desperately wants the UK to remain within Europe and quite frankly, that alone makes me want out.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index