U-Know! Forum »
Fantasy Political Funeral

101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jshell
333 posts

Re: Fantasy Political Funeral
May 22, 2013, 14:41
Thanks for the well considered post, and the numbers did make me re-think in terms of the trade figures. Unlike many posters, I’m always open to correction.

It's worth noting though, that Norway is more than a one-trick-pony in that it exports vast quantities of fish, shipping and is the EU's largest supplier of aluminium, amongst other metals.

On the point of relevance though, I disagree with you that the North Sea oil and gas fields have peaked. Well, perhaps those existing ones, but STATOIL have made some utterly massive finds in the last few years and the proportion of continental shelf that has been explored so far is very small – something like 15%. Those new finds have not been developed yet and are the reason for the utter jobs boom in Norway. Norway’s gas production is and will be huge for a very long time to come. The value of that export will depend on the actuality of the shale gas deposits being found in various European area countries though as shale gas has been responsible for US gas prices dropping in price by 2/3’s. If NE of England shale gas stacks up to expectations, then Norway may see export values drop, despite those large finds.

Norway is also being used for the development of subsea gas processing technology that will allow very long step-outs into the Arctic waters and even under the ice cap, if need be.

In general terms, I know from the past that you’ve spoken about peak reserves issues, but I disagree with you. Proven hydrate reserves total more hydrocarbons than have ever been found to date. Once those are tapped we will have supplies for the foreseeable future and at least enough to allow the development of future energy technologies. Ironically, the Man Made-up Global Warming scare has even put clean burn coal technology back on the tables... You couldn’t have made that up.

On the EU though, we will also disagree. Norway is protected from the carnage that is ensuing in that it’s a bit more financially protected than most countries. The reason I want to see the UK leave the EU is that it has been plain to the most backward of thinkers that you cannot peg high and low performing economies together without the string eventually being snapped. That’s what we are seeing here now. There are more and more people from Greece to France that want to see an end to this false economic mill-stone. We have had trade agreements prior to the single currency and we will have agreements after the single currency. Germany still needs markets for its cars, and that won’t disappear with the single currency experiment. The reason I brought up Norway in the first place is that they still trade with the EU and are part of Schengen without having most of the fuckwittery that goes with being a member!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index