Fantasy Political Funeral

101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jshell
333 posts

Re: Fantasy Political Funeral
May 08, 2013, 08:45
Lawrence wrote:
Of course realistically I imagine things must've been pretty bad in '79 for people to be conned by someone as evil as Thatcher. Same thing with Reagan in my country...

I remember back then. I'm no supporter of Thatcher, let's get that straight, but it's true that she was 'of her time'. The UK was bankrupt, the unions had the country on it's knees - they cared about nothing but their own political agendas, the IMF were running us, the rubbish piled up on the streets and the dead went unburied for weeks. The hospitals would only accept emergency patients.

In short, the Left had completely fucked the UK out of the park, it was a basket case. This is a matter of record.

My family, as many others, welcomed the breath of fresh air that Thatcher brought, but latterly they also couldn't wait to get rid of her. It could be said she started quite well and turned the UK round, but the pendulum swung too far and she ripped families and communities apart. We still see the industrial devastation now. The Conservatives are unwelcome in Scotland for this very reason. After winning 2 landlside elections, she is now hated by old foes and supporters alike.

Where would we be now without her intervention? I don't really know, but it's possible that for us things could have been even worse than now.

I've stayed away from the threads on Thatcher as I can see two sides to her, as I can with most issues. There is no doubt that many of her policies were devastating, but the UK had no choice but go through some kind of massive change. I suppose that every cloud has some kind of silver lining and much as I agree with your sentiments about Pinochet, he too, despite being a heinous murdering bastard, did keep his promise to bring democracy to his country and then step down afterwards...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index