Fantasy Political Funeral

101 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Fantasy Political Funeral
Apr 27, 2013, 12:37
It's a long time since I've looked in on these forums (over a year I think... and man, this place has gone quiet!), but I thought I'd have a look at what was being said about Thatcher.

Good to see you're still here, geoffrey... someone needs to keep U-Know! on its toes lest it get complacent. Can't say as I agree with you any more than I did a year ago though. Especially when you just make stuff up to support your political position.

geoffrey_prime wrote:
I understand your point, but clearly with Thatcher, there was a majority who were happy to pay for a funeral ceremony. Democracy rules, hopefully?

"Clearly"? Really? I live in Ireland these days, but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard if a referendum had been held on the issue of public funding for the funeral. Certainly none of my UK friends got to vote on it. So I'm really confused about how you can claim the "majority" supported it.

Especially since every single opinion poll I can find contradicts your statement.

There was a ComRes poll that suggested 60% of people were opposed to state funding of the funeral. The Daily Mirror's poll showed a minority in favour of public funding of the funeral. And there were others.

So, geoffrey, I'm genuinely interested in your claim that "clearly [...] there was a majority who were happy to pay for a funeral ceremony". Do you have any evidence whatsoever to back that up? Personally I'm not a great fan of democracy, but if you're going to appeal to democratic principles then you need to actually demonstrate a majority in favour of your position. There was no democratic vote, and even the opinion polls contradict you. So what are you basing your claim on?

Also, even if the majority had supported it (which clearly they didn't), given the fact that Thatcher's estate could easily afford to pay for the funeral, I find it curious (not to mention staggeringly hypocritical - to the point of self-parody) that the Tory Party decided to pass the bill on to the public purse. It seems State Funding is A Good Thing when it involves something the wealthy want. But a Bad Thing when it comes to the poor.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index