U-Know! Forum »
You won't even know what you don't know about

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5290 posts

You won't even know what you don't know about
Aug 20, 2012, 07:24
aka, yet another thing on the list of 1984esque moves from this government
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/aug/19/secret-court-hearing-compared-superinjunctions
Do we just batten down the hatches and wait for them to go away? Or what to do, it does make you feel helpless. And all these things they devise, the mess will be left behind.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2012, 07:57
Re: You won't even know what you don't know about
Aug 20, 2012, 07:56
They'll be on to you now.

Seriously though, this is as predictable as it is depressing. I agree that this is another reason to hate the current administration, but it merely follows leads put in place the the previous one. Whoever you vote for, the government always get in.

If this goes through, it should finally nail some of the Liberal Democrats notions as to what they are. This is from Wikipedia, but it sounds right:

"The Liberal Democrats are a social liberal political party in the United Kingdom which supports constitutional and electoral reform, progressive taxation, wealth taxation, environmentalism, human rights laws, cultural liberalism, banking reform and civil liberties."
rockhopper
275 posts

Aug 20, 2012, 09:22
Careful Vybers! We already have 'thought crime' (conspiracy laws), and 'hate crime' (incitement laws).
This poison has been going on for decades. My old man was a copper in the sixties and used to joke about 'the ways and means act'. I.E. There's ways and means of banging up anyone if you really want to. Just look at those two kids sent down for four years just for talking about a riot. You don't have to go to Moscow to see this shit going on.
The noose is getting tighter....
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 20, 2012, 09:35
rockhopper wrote:
and 'hate crime' (incitement laws).

I don't know why you've lumped thought crime (thankfully not in place in this country and in no way analogous with conspiracy). We have explicit hate crime legislation in this country, and it's a better place for it.
rockhopper
275 posts

Aug 20, 2012, 10:38
Mea Culpa. Wrong word. Replace thought with talk and there's your conspiracy laws.
Don't underestimate these bastards. I see very little difference legally in hating a minority or hating a government.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 21, 2012, 13:38
rockhopper wrote:
I see very little difference legally in hating a minority or hating a government.

Really?
rockhopper
275 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2012, 16:06
Aug 21, 2012, 15:59
Yep. Legislation can be a double edged sword. It is not uncommon for laws meant for one purpose to be used for another entirely.
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 31, 2012, 20:38
Vybik Jon wrote:
Whoever you vote for, the government always get in.

Or someone does, anyway. #shiver
U-Know! Forum Index