Topic View: Flat | Threaded
John Rice
John Rice
38 posts

Edited May 08, 2012, 14:07
Re: Yes, it's important this time
May 08, 2012, 14:06
Eduardo wrote:
None of the Scots I've met seem remotely interested in independance, in fact a taxi driver in Perth launched into a 15 minute tirade about Alex Salmond last time I was there.

Well, a Scottish friend of mine is passionately in favour of independence and it's nothing to do with hating English people (he's married to one!) or Alex Salmond (he thinks Salmond a fool).

But it's got everything to do with the fact that for most of his life he's been subjected to tory policies despite Scotland having never voted tory in all that time. And if you ask me, that's a pretty damn good reason for wanting independence... you know, actually getting the government you vote for?

In 1979 less than a third of Scottish constituencies returned a tory candidate, yet still the Scots were saddled with Thatcher. In 1983, that number fell, yet still they had to endure Thatcher. In 1987, the tories won a total of 10 (out of 72) seats in Scotland. But still more Thatcher.

And then, a couple of years ago, the Scots returned exactly one tory MP to Westminster, yet they have Cameron as PM and Osborne holding the purse strings.

If I were Scottish, I wouldn't give a damn about what Alex Salmond has to say, but I would vote to change this farcical state of affairs.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index