IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 03, 2012, 09:32
Re: And so it begins....*
Apr 03, 2012, 07:22
John Rice wrote:
IanB wrote:
That's what happens when you don't commit to vote tactically against the Tories every minute of every single day.

Two points...

1) Lots of people did vote tactically against the tories and put their 'X' next to the LibDem candidate (the party that claimed loudest to support civil liberties).

2) These plans are actually an extension of a post-9/11 Blair (i.e. Labour) plan to monitor "extremists".

Basically, I'm really not sure that "voting", whether tactically or otherwise, is an effective route out of the mess modern society finds itself in.

I don't disagree but I think I am right in saying that polls showed that more Labour voters (i.e. those who voted for Blair in the previous election) stayed home than switched to Lib Dem or AN Other party. As far as I am concerned the only useful thing about elections is that it represents an opportunity to keep Tory hands off of the Whitehall / Brussels / Local Gov tiller. They end up doing it by other means of course but it slows them down. It's more a forestalling than a conduit for change but it is better than seeing the sons and daughters of Thatcher blunder incompetently through the corridors of power. They are even below average at being Thatcherites. As for the Blair inheritence I do not believe that a Labour / Lib-Dem coalition would be forwarding this particular policy at this time but I could be wrong. I could just about live with five years of Brown with the handbrake on.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index