45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Re: Nae state, nae class and nae cash
Oct 28, 2002, 16:01
"The Scots overwhelmingly voted tory pre-thatcher

Hahahahhaa
Necropolist you are normally so accurate! Do I detect a hint of national envy creeping into your revolutionary reasoning ?

The last time the Tories came close to Labour was the 1950's, which was also the last time the SNP could be called Tartan Tories. While that is Pre-Thatcher, Pre-Thatcher covers 6000 years of Scottish histroy so its a bit inaccurate. Even then, it was a split vote, and even then the SNP incorporated elements of both the right and the left.

"If Scotland ever did get full independence, then, personally, I’ve little doubt the SNP would go back to their old ways, and be forthright defenders of Scottish capitalism."

Agreed. But the first thing they would do upon independence is to have a new Scottish election. Then we Scots can choose to ditch the current career politicians. Whether we will is debatable, I'm happy to argue for.

"And remind me, who was it rioted against the Poll Tax (causing Tommy S to utter his loathsome scab comments mentioned above), and who was it who simply went for a wee stroll around the park?"

You are either ignorant of the year of mass-dissent that the test run of the poll-tax caused in Scotland, or you choose to pretend to be ignorant, I'm not sure which. It was in Scotland that the anti-poll tax tactics were perfected ( blocking streets to stop Sheriff's Officers seizing goods etc) and I bet there were more than 10% of the poll tax rioters in London were Scottish ( In Scotland the term Poll Tax Riot could refer to any number of events up here, but I appreciate that it isn't worth remembering unless it happened near to the centre of Empire).
You seem to assume that the reason the poll tax was scrapped was because a few english proles rioted - but at that point already Scotland was on the verge of revolution and they ignored english proles throughout the eighties. Perhaps you are right, perhaps Scotland in constant revolt is less of a factor than a few Cockneys causing mischief for a day. Its the old argument, one protestor in the States is worth 10 in England, 100 in Scotland and 1000 in the third world. Scotland has a loyalist right wing working class minority, but that stance is taken through the religious grounds echoing from the north of Ireland, not from reason.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index