Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: A/V?
Apr 15, 2011, 10:39
toasted-whippet wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
The current Co-alition will be finished after the next election, even if the Conservatives hang on to power.

I'm not sure about that. AV may change everything. The Liberals have been grossly under represented for a hundred years. Even if there are a lot fewer Lib Dem votes next time if the remaining Lib Dem votes are more fairly reflected they are quite likely to be in a king making position again.

Is that unfair, as the third party will have a disproportionate influence? Yes. But IMO better than having a Tory party that most people won't have voted for getting first past the post and running completely riot, as has happened before and as Cameron looks to me to be set to do if the chance arises

When I said "the current Co-alition" I was referring specifically to the Cameron/Clegg axis. Clegg's already virtually kamikazed his role as Lib Dem leader - both the lib Dems' recent by-election defeats and the animosity towards him from within his own party will make sure of that. Even if he manages to remain party leader, his divisive presence means there's likely to be a split in the Lib Dem camp that will lead to the creation of another party. Therefore, if the Lib Dems want to remain a significant presence in any future election - whether determined by A/V or not - they'll have to get rid of him.

I am sure that when he crosses the floor the Nasty Party will find a nice safe seat for him

Indeed - but he'll never be Prime Minister by default, which is a re-assuring thought.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index