Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2011, 11:24
Re: CS Gas at Peaceful Protest
Feb 17, 2011, 11:19
Dunno about our polices stockpile, but IIRC we replaced rubber with plastic sometime ago.

Edit : Just looked on wiki, I was right, plus apparently they were authorised for use at Gleaneagles in 2005 for the G8 summit. And one was used against a guy armed with a machete in Dorchester in 2010, so yep we still have them.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 11:44
stray wrote:
Dunno about our polices stockpile, but IIRC we replaced rubber with plastic sometime ago.

Edit : Just looked on wiki, I was right, plus apparently they were authorised for use at Gleaneagles in 2005 for the G8 summit. And one was used against a guy armed with a machete in Dorchester in 2010, so yep we still have them.

Jesus. And clearly all over the country.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 08:53
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12502496

"It (The Foriegn Office) said 250 cartridges of tear gas and other riot control equipment had been licensed for export to the Gulf state within the past nine months."

"The Foreign Secretary William Hague told the Commons he had stressed the need for peaceful action in dealing with the protesters in a conversation with Bahrain's foreign minister."
stray
stray
2057 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 09:21
Did you see this Toni http://www.iol.ie/~pfc/policing/plastic/plastic27032002.html
The RUC bought 76,302 rounds in 2000 and 46,000 in 2001, what the hell were they expecting, and where are those rounds now ?

"Lord Rooker: The only less lethal option which requires ammunition is the baton gun. Currently 36 police forces in England and Wales have a baton gun capability and a further three non-Home Department forces are similarly equipped. This figure will increase to 45 forces by April 2002 when the manufacturer has supplied further baton guns."

umm.. wonder if the figures of purchases for the rest of the police force are about somewhere.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 09:53
This is scary shit Stray:

Baton Rounds

"Mr. McNamara: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his answer of 19 November 2001, Official Report, column 92W, on baton rounds, how many plastic baton rounds have been procured in each year since 1981 by each of the 36 police forces in England and Wales and three non-Home Office forces; and what the annual cost of such procurement for each force was. [29737]

Mr. Denham: I have accepted the advice of the Association of Chief Police Officers that the disclosure of this information, on an individual force basis, would be prejudicial to operational effectiveness.

23,090 baton rounds were purchased by Home Office and non-Home Office forces in 2000, at a total cost of £157,474; and 25,500 in 2001 at a total cost of £173,910. Information for previous years is not readily available."

So; there were some 48,000 bullets procured by the Home Office for English and Welsh Police forces in just 2 years.

Presumably there must be operational procedures in place for the use of these bullets against civilians, obviously ongoing training, media training for senior officers.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 13:16
Yeah very scary. What I'd like to know is who the non-home office forces are who have also been supplied them. Could be the Army, heh, it could be Group 4.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Meanwhile whilst browsing Hansard looking for more references to Baton Rounds..
Feb 18, 2011, 13:33
I found this amazing memo to the Human Rights Joint Committee from an ex police officer (inferred from his comment on his training of how to use a wooden truncheon).
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt200809/jtselect/jtrights/47/47we12.htm August 2008.
This memo should be wheeled out here when people defend the actions of the UK police to the point of hysterical cognitive dissonance. Its not a few bad apples, its the whole structure, their training and collective approach.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 13:50
stray wrote:
Yeah very scary. What I'd like to know is who the non-home office forces are who have also been supplied them. Could be the Army, heh, it could be Group 4.

Group 4 fucking hell!

Yeah, Non-Home Office might not mean non-Governmental. After all that BBC Bahrain report mentioned the Forign Office shipping tear gas and "other riot control equipment". Who knows what that might be?
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Meanwhile whilst browsing Hansard looking for more references to Baton Rounds..
Feb 18, 2011, 17:45
Blimey. Intersting stuff.

Thanks Stray.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 18:29
stray wrote:
What I'd like to know is who the non-home office forces are who have also been supplied them.

The implication from the statement is that it's police forces rather than other groups like military or private forces.

My guess would be the non-regional constabularies like Civil Nuclear Constabulary, British Transport Police, Ports Police, MoD police (though I think those guys are technically the Army).
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index