Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Re: NEW FEATURE: Advice to Demonstrators After the Trashing of Millbank
Nov 20, 2010, 09:01
grufty jim wrote:
dodge one wrote:
I don't find you even vaguely interesting. I never have.
Your style of passive aggresiveness is legendary in its own right here.
You argue just for the sake of argueing.

There's certainly no rule here that says you have to find me interesting, but there are rules that say you should remain civil. And that's all I'm asking.

I'm aware that some people believe I'm being "passive aggressive" or "patronising". Leastways that's what they say. As I've said, it's certainly not my intention, and for that reason I make no apologies (though I do think it's rather regrettable). I could speculate on why some people view me in that way, but doubt it would be particularly productive.

dodge one wrote:
The horrific posting style of Stray is also un-fucking-believable.
He gets a pass though. Or ToneStone....or a few others too.

Stray and I have had our disagreements, but I completely respect him as someone who argues from a position of good faith and who places a higher priority on honest discussion than he does on cheap point-scoring. I've certainly not seen him being downright nasty (though I do spend very little time on the other boards on this site, so maybe I'm missing something).

As for Tonestone; he's a fairly irregular visitor to U-Know these days. Someone did draw my attention to a thread in which he made some pretty vicious remarks and had I been posting here at the time, I can assure you I would have responded to him exactly as I respond to anyone who says those kinds of things.

dodge one wrote:
But lets have a group dynamic consensual mob up on the YANK.
I know the routine.

Well clearly you don't. I have nothing against American people. As with a lot of us Irish, a branch of my family are New Yorkers, I have quite a few American friends and I've lived in different parts of the USA for varying periods of time. There's much about America that I have a problem with, and there's much about America that I adore (and I can say the same thing about most places I've lived). However, I think it speaks volumes that the other Americans on this site don't complain about a massive anti-American bias.

dodge one wrote:
You are no free thinker.

Few of us truly are. We can but try to escape what Leary called our "robotization". And it's the struggle of a lifetime.

dodge one wrote:
I cant be bothered to post anymore tonite, been a Looong week.
So you get the last word.

Ah, the last word in an online discussion... such a rare and precious commodity. Let me use it wisely...

How about...

aubergine!

HI Jim,

I've said before - and I dont mean this as an insult - that a lot of your posts have an (as you say unintentional) tone to them. It's a tone that sometimes does come across as a bit unpleasant and patronising.

Having conversed with you a few times, I have realised that this is not how you are.
But when I first had a reply from you I did wonder what your problem was!

Saying that, tone is really hard to get from typed text
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index