Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2010, 04:08
Re: NEW FEATURE: Advice to Demonstrators After the Trashing of Millbank
Nov 19, 2010, 04:02
dodge one wrote:
i notice that you made no mention about my comment about your not noticing the source of the BONO slander{Rupert Murdoch} post that you took a part in.You never did revisit that excrable thread after the true facts of the matter became evident. That alone proved your wankiness to me for all time.

Wow, that's quite a tough line to take. Why so? It wasn't a thread I took any great interest in, and like you I thought the facts were pretty quickly established. I posted on it once, an ironic comment about Bono's hobnobbing with war criminals that is unaffected by the thread's false allegations of profiteering, and I stand by it. I never said anything about the article that was linked to. Why does this make you so angry with me?

dodge one wrote:
What the fuck does "Trashing" have to do with Demonstrating?

I think everybody agrees that it is acceptable to use violence against property, even on occasion people, for political ends if the circumstances really justify it. What we're arguing about is whether this was worth it.

I think, with the exception of the fire extinguisher thing, it was. Another A to B march of placards would have gone unnoticed. Whereas now knowledge of the cuts to education is much more widespread, and the sense of anger about the broader cuts is heightened. This improves the chances of stemming them.

Ask yourself how much good the marches against the poll tax did that waved placards. Once there'd been the massive 1990 demo (and the less remembered mass burnings of bills) the tax was repealed. I'd also suggest reading some Suffragette history and asking what would've happened if they'd politely walked through the streets every time.

dodge one wrote:
Why do you counter a specific act of stupidity with cited examples of other examples of stupidity? Justification?

No, perspective and fairness. I find it odd that a single act gets so much attention when dozens of equivalent acts at the same place are ignored.

dodge one wrote:
Morally justified crimes?
You think that is the case here?

I'd have hoped that was already apparent, but in case I've not been clear: yes.

dodge one wrote:
Why not just give us an entire list of Morally Justified Crimes.

Because, like you, I think it's a case by case basis.

I am very interested in your implication though - are you really ssaying there are no morally justified crimes?

Do you apply this to every country, or just English law? Is that English law at present, or throughout history?

dodge one wrote:
I've been a peacefull activist my whole adult life. I did protest, very actively, the 'Coalition's' mounting Iraq invasion.

I was there with you. The largest crowd of people that has ever assembled on this island in its history. And we made no difference whatsoever. Had a tenth of a percent of us gone and trashed the warplanes leaving our soil for Iraq, it might've been different.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index