79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jshell
333 posts

Re: Cutty Cut Cut Cut
Oct 21, 2010, 17:18
drewbhoy wrote:
jshell wrote:
Worst bit about the bypass: The folks that were paid for their property now get to keep both cash and property if the bypass is suspended or cancelled.... They were alreay paid and were to move out only when teh bypass was being built.

I'm no Nat, but at least Salmond wants to cancel the trams!

But half the work for the trams has been done at great disturbance to the people of Edinburgh. So that would be even more money wasted, it would take more money to repair the repairs. As for the bypass, was it ever really a true by pass. I can't ever recall seeing plans to connect to Potterton, Ellon and Newburgh roads. A96 and A947 and Hatton of Fintray roads I don't know.

Friend of mine was on the finance board from the bank that financed the trams. The Council reckoned £500mil, but the bank had already peer-reviewed the existing European systems and came up with £1.3Billion! That and the fact that every European tram system has to be subsidised and doesn't pay for itself means that cancelling any time would be preferable to completing it. They've also just cancelled the route to Leith, so it now runs from city centre to 'near' the airport, as they still don't have permission to get into airport grounds!! Or bought the land between teh terminus and the airport. It's a mess.

I saw plans for the bypass when I moved to Aberdeen in 1984, they upgraded it with the other routes you mention to serve everyone, but it was single carriageway, not dual! Don't think they originally planned to connect with Ellon road as the main through traffic heads West on the A96. the Elgin bypass has been cancelled (bahstahds), but Fochabers is ongoing now.

I'm interested in both as I live in Edinburgh w/ends and Aberdeen mid-week, with my folks in Morayshire!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index