Register
U-Know! Forum »
More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
landells
landells
680 posts

Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)
Oct 09, 2010, 00:51
The thing is...

When they asked the 2 million people that he helped to fill in a customer comments card eight out of ten of them said they prefered The Edge
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2010, 09:08
Oct 09, 2010, 09:06
zphage wrote:

Bono as an Irishman who has done well and is willing to speak out of line seems to rankle...

On that particular point, you are quite wrong. His nationality has nothing to do with it either here in the Uk or in Eire. Speaking as an Irishman myself, raised here and who spends a significant amount of time in both countries, he is unpopular with a suprisngly large amount of Irish people purely in regard to the tax issue in Eire and his/U2's subsequent lack of contribution to the economy. This is an entirely separate issue.

:-) Aum.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Oct 09, 2010, 10:04
I reckon possibly the most important essay posted in U-Know was Robin Fishwick's article, In Defense of Hypocricy

People rail against the likes of Bono and Sting, but nobody's dander is raised when public figures make no attempt to do the right thing.

So if Sting does an advert for Jaguar cars, he faces criticism. But other celebrities - see Carol Vorderman, Gary Linaker, Rolf Harris, etc do not engage our anger because they make no pretence at being anythng other than talking heads.

I think it's also a big part of many of the arguments that break out here. When we espouse an ideal, we are also conscious that we cannot always live up to that ideal, and we become defensive.

But I think this guilt is built upon a misconception, by and large (I know there are exceptions)

I for one don't blame anyone for doing the best they can with what they have. We have no choice but to live within the system.

Robert Tressell wrote:
They all cursed Crass, but most of them would have been very to change
places with him: and if any one of them had been in his place they
would have been compelled to act in the same way - or lose the job.

They all reviled Hunter, but most of them would have been glad to
change places with him also: and if any one of them had been in his
place they would have been compelled to do the same things, or lose
the job.

They all hated and blamed Rushton. Yet if they had been in Rushton's
place they would have been compelled to adopt the same methods, or
become bankrupt: for it is obvious that the only way to compete
successfully against other employers who are sweaters is to be a
sweater yourself. Therefore no one who is an upholder of the present
system can consistently blame any of these men. Blame the system.

If you, reader, had been one of the hands, would you have slogged? Or
would you have preferred to starve and see your family starve? If you
had been in Crass's place, would you have resigned rather than do such
dirty work? If you had had Hunter's berth, would you have given it up
and voluntarily reduced yourself to the level of the hands? If you
had been Rushton, would you rather have become bankrupt than treat
your `hands' and your customers in the same way as your competitors
treated theirs? It may be that, so placed, you - being the
noble-minded paragon that you are - would have behaved unselfishly.
But no one has any right to expect you to sacrifice yourself for the
benefit of other people who would only call you a fool for your pains.
It may be true that if any one of the hands - Owen, for instance - had
been an employer of labour, he would have done the same as other
employers. Some people seem to think that proves that the present
system is all right! But really it only proves that the present
system compels selfishness. One must either trample upon others or be
trampled upon oneself. Happiness might be possible if everyone were
unselfish; if everyone thought of the welfare of his neighbour before
thinking of his own. But as there is only a very small percentage of
such unselfish people in the world, the present system has made the
earth into a sort of hell. Under the present system there is not
sufficient of anything for everyone to have enough. Consequently
there is a fight - called by Christians the `Battle of Life'. In this
fight some get more than they need, some barely enough, some very
little, and some none at all. The more aggressive, cunning, unfeeling
and selfish you are the better it will be for you. As long as this
`Battle of Life' System endures, we have no right to blame other
people for doing the same things that we are ourselves compelled to
do. Blame the system.

Don't blame Bono. Blame a system that condemns millions to poverty, and makes such charity necessary.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 09, 2010, 15:21
The Sea Cat wrote:
zphage wrote:

Bono as an Irishman who has done well and is willing to speak out of line seems to rankle...

On that particular point, you are quite wrong. His nationality has nothing to do with it either here in the Uk or in Eire. Speaking as an Irishman myself, raised here and who spends a significant amount of time in both countries, he is unpopular with a suprisngly large amount of Irish people purely in regard to the tax issue in Eire and his/U2's subsequent lack of contribution to the economy. This is an entirely separate issue.

:-) Aum.

No disagreement there.

Brits and Irish perceive and dislike Bono for different reasons.

All comes down to very big fish in a small pond, if U2 lived in the US like Morrissey, Robbie Williams, Jagger, nobody would care what they do or say.

The Edge has garnered some bad press in LA because of real estate development in Malibu, but it's not national news.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2010, 11:08
Oct 10, 2010, 08:43
keith a wrote:
So what if he's helped 2 million people?

He's got a big ego and I don't like him.

He's had his photo taken with people I don't like.

And the last few albums have been shit. Well I've not actually heard them but they sold millions so they must be.

I wish he'd just let people suffer and leave me in peace.

Not my views btw. Far from it. But, cutting through the chaff, isn't this the view of some folk here?

What a great post.

My concern is the same - that 99% of the opprobrium that is directed at Bono from the wolrd of cool is there because he fails on the rock n roll cool-o-meter. That and having the temerity to be an "out" Christian.

That Bono is doing anything at all is miraculous when he could be sitting on his ass all day disseceting Post Modernism with Eno, Bowie and David Byrne over a bottle or three of Romanee Conti.

Meanwhile someone like Peter Gabriel gets a pass because he made a few decent records a long time ago and because he got a hair cut and bailed out on Prog just as Punk appeared on the horizon. Lke Fripp and Hammill. Sure he has a well considered world music label and once upon a time nearly went bust putting on Womad but how releasing a few albums by third world artists compares favourably with what Bono has done is beyond me. And what is the difference between Bono's activism and Eno's War Child?

At it's very worst rock n roll culture rejects earnestness and embraces smoke and mirrors. Adores posturing but mistrusts poise. Idolises the buzz-word but is suspicious of substance. Derides effort and praises sloth. Mistrusts real activism but lionises the myth of teenage rampage. In other words rock n roll is the very embodiment of adolescent self-regard and there are few things that teenagers seem to hate more than people who try hard and don't try to hide it.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 19:26
About the few things that teenagers hate more.....
I don't think there's any here.
Loads of folks who think they are revolutionary heads though. Nigh on their 40's or older.
Whats their excuse? The Snubbin', Drubbin' and Hub-Bubbin'.....
Jaded ?
Thinkin' a haircut and duds {or perhaps some mascara} is all it takes to make the revolutinary set?
Nah....can't be that, I've seen pictures of the 'HEADS' here posted from shows...Lots of fat balding leather jacket wearin' agein' Righteous dudes....
Still Hatin'.....the good fight. The one that actually matters.
Won't get much done in a big plaster head.
Do we all have plaster heads?
What is the good fight anymore?
Knockin' down anything that makes a profit...Having a regular job...skating on the thin ice of life?
What?
Name dropping the old Revolutinary's who have entered into the pop culture conscienceness? Ceptin' Jesus.....that is.
Is following there examples possible?
As you said IAN, who gets rated on the cool meter and who is Righteously flounced off of it by the ever shifting popular consensus? I'm losing my perspective here.
Isn't it the "RICH FOLK's!!" that enable most of us that actually work to have a Job at all?
Can somebody PLEASE tell me what a "RICH PERSON"{in the constantly derisive meaning as it is bandied about in these parts} IS? Whats the aproximate figure? Is it anyone who has got more than me? GOT WHAT.....
I want to be accurate {and righteous} when i snub my nieghbors, countrymen, or fellow species members because they are too 'RICH' by the standards as agreed upon right here on H.H.
If i'm going to be accused of dividing and conquering...i want to do it on a spectacular scale.
I'd like to make it my lifes work to single out the haves from the have nots.
I'm gonna make sure that the HAVEs sure as fuck cough up, what 'I' think is their fair share, to THEM whats got it coming.
And man, there's loads of 'THEM'...
I think that is just the thing for me....We all know that its uncool to be racist or religous, or the 'WRONG' political party affiliation....Just imagine, something to wrap my RIGHTEOUSLY guided HATE and indignation towards.
Those "RICH" cuntys is gonna pay i tell ya!!
Startin' with that BONO fella.
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Oct 10, 2010, 23:43
dodge one wrote:
I do not have a gay molecule in my body

what! you mean last night meant nothing to you...boo hoo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2010, 16:35
Oct 11, 2010, 07:19
dodge one wrote:
About the few things that teenagers hate more.....
I don't think there's any here.
Loads of folks who think they are revolutionary heads though. Nigh on their 40's or older.

Sorry, bad writing on my part. I am not saying there are teenagers here or even the people posting here are adolescent. What I am saying is that Rock culture itself is inherently adolescent and that is what gets people making value judgments about what people do based on where they rank on the cool-o-meter. I am sure I do it / have done it on hundreds of occasions.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 15:41
Nope, your writing, as usual was exactly SPOT on.
I just took the line of thought and ran with it in my fashion.
Regards
D1
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 11, 2010, 16:01
dodge one wrote:

Nah....can't be that, I've seen pictures of the 'HEADS' here posted from shows...Lots of fat balding leather jacket wearin' agein' Righteous dudes....

Nah Dodge, that's just me, and I ain't righteous!
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index