Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: my tuppence worth
Aug 20, 2010, 15:19
Merrick wrote:
Regarding the localised thing:

I hear what you're saying about localised production, but then Megacorp has the benefit of economies of scale. Thus we see lots of things that can be done cheaply locally being done on massive scale in far-off lands and imported.

We can all brew our own beer easily for next to nothing, but almost none of us do. And the shops are full of imported stuff that undercuts much of the domestic craft stuff. My guess is the cannabis market would go the same way.

It may do over time, but my argument against that is the fact that there's already a thriving homegrown subculture (and it really is thriving just now) that would likely bloom (pun intended) if legal restrictions were removed. The corporations would try to muscle in on the action of course, but I suspect any legalisation would include a very strict ban on advertising and tight controls on where it could be bought and sold. This would severely limit the ability of the conglomerates to dominate the market.

Yes, I know there's a home-brew subculture as well, but there are cultural differences between the two products. The vast majority of drinkers have already been weaned on mass-produced beer and tend to find the idiosyncratic taste of many homebrews less than palatable (and being one of the brainwashed masses, I speak for myself there). Whereas pot heads are already dedicated to a product that is grown in clandestine circumstances, as much by enthusiasts as hardened criminals.

Nobody knows for certain, but it's my guess that were pot prohibition lifted, a significant portion of the market would fall into the hands of home growers. Simply because it doesn't actually involve a change in behaviour for most people. Could be wrong about that, but it's just my sense of the situation.

Merrick wrote:
not that I'm advocating prohibition, far from it.

Yeah you are! Old "Short sharp shock" Merrick as we call you. Old "lock 'em up and throw away the key" Merrick. 'Course you are!

Merrick wrote:
I'd rather have Nestle cannabis than stuff sprayed with unknown chemicals, paying no tax, organised by beatings and killings.

As would I. But I'd prefer even more to be able to get the bus down to my mate's house and pick up my pot. Just like I do now, except without being paranoid about the smell of the stuff on the bus home. My behaviour wouldn't change were it legalised. I'd just experience less anxiety (as would the chap who grows it).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index