A cunning plan...

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: A cunning plan...
Jul 08, 2010, 20:58
There are alternatives. The thing is they are unpalatable to the vast majority of the population and would not get suppport. Doesn't mean they aren't right. Similar (and linked with to some extent) greening the economy, it doesn't win votes and thus we roll on slowly toward a point where our present concerns regarding the economy we've created will be irrelevant, because the lack of water, lack of food, lack of energy will wake us up to whats really going on, quite possibly too late. I'll be dead by then most likely, but my kids might not be, or my grandkids.

The reality is, leaving the market free to form our economic and social life will not work. Unfortunately there is a more unfashionable topic not addressed by both the left and right which is social engineering. It happens, the right free the market and say that way that they avoid social engineering. The liberal left more overtly socially engineer, but with the liberal and inherent pro-individual autonomy tendency of these political movements in the "democratic" world also try to rein in the social engineering, and pretend there's less social engineering because of these activities.

The truth of the matter is that the world is incredibly complex, and I suspect we could all do with being sat down and taught a good chunk of post-modern philosophy. There are NO neat answers, never will be. Think what we are dealing with is human nature in both grand and at small scale. I choose one option in my life, it means I can't do the other quite often. Managing the economy is the same. It is undeniable that the rich (people, corporations, governments) can afford to cut more and still maintain a reasonable lifestyle. Given we socially engineer whichever way we go, can we not steal some utilitarian philosophy and manage things in the way the serves the most the best. Sadly in our country we voted further right than that, and people will suffer who are less likely to be able to deal with it. In our world the rich nations such as our own are doing the same.

Destroy AmeriKKKan Kapitalism!!! Don't think that would work, nor would destroying Eurocentric Kapitalism, these are aspects of our humanity. Any more than trusting the Communist manifesto, lovely from an idealistic perspective as it sounds. Anarchy?? Let Franco march in while they were arguing over which collective got which weapons and everyone was getting their say, then the talking stopped, they were dead, captured or assimilated. Truth is we need, all the aspects of our humanity. Wasn't watching A Beautiful Mind all about that, the punchline being Adam Smith wasn't right when he said (and I paraphrase badly) "statisitically more people survive if they think only of themselves" its more like "statistically more people survive if they think of themselves and others". Saying, it seems to me, paradoxially, that we need to be selfish and selfless at the same time. Simples!!! LOL
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index