193 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Jul 10, 2010, 16:16
Re: Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jul 10, 2010, 16:08
In my experience, the protestors police themselves.

When I posted the wiki link to "agent provocateurs" I was careful to link it specifically to an example, in Canada.

here's what it wrote:
On August 20, 2007, three protesters in Montebello, Canada during meetings of the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America were discovered to be police provocateurs by Dave Coles, president of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada. The entire incident was filmed and posted on YouTube before being picked up by the mainstream media. The video shows three masked men, one of whom was armed with a large rock, being confronted by peaceful protesters. After the men breached the police line, they were brought to the ground, handcuffed, and taken away. Photographs revealed that their boot-tread matched that of the arresting officers. Although they at first denied that the individuals in question were agents provocateurs, the Sûreté du Québec issued a news release on August 23 admitting that the three protesters were, in fact, police officers.

The article then wrote:
Another common tactic is to infiltrate legitimate demonstrations in the attempt to stir widespread violence and rioting, seen most recently in a spring anti-Iraq war gathering in Vancouver, Canada. This has become so commonplace that sources within activist organizations have told STRATFOR they police their own demonstrations to prevent infiltration by fringe groups.

STRATFOR, by the way, are a well respected analysis site.

So throughout this thread, and in other similar threads before it, you've expressed a view that some protestors are out looking for trouble. I think that's actually very rare. As stray pointed out, the media love to paint a picture of protestors as being violent troublemakers, and the police use violence as an excuse for violence themselves.

Again, please note, I'm not talking about the bobby on the beat. The orders come from much higher up.

Protestors have nothing to gain from violence. It deters ordinary people from getting involved. It leads to an escalation, and the forces of the state have infinitely more resources with which to fight. And it destroys the legitimacy of the protestors aims.

So every time a peaceful demonstration turns into something else, rather than taking account of the issues, ordinary people like you and me say "look at those idiots"

And your posts prove the tactic works.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index