Public Sector Workers - Reality Check

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jun 29, 2010, 13:13
Indeed Lawrence. I think I live in a different world to you Pooley, but then we did establish that months ago.

Like they're any fucking use if any of what you said does happen. I'm with squid, I'd call Ghostbusters.

And ere, this is one of those troll the right wing troll Geoffrey right back threads, don't take me seriously.

Incidentally one of my mates is currently going through a world of shit courtesy of the police force so...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 13:15
sanshee wrote:
Why are you 'relieved'?

Sure there is loads of waste in the public (and private) sector, and I have first hand experience of the former.

However there's nothing fair or even practical about addressing that by cutting the wages/hours of those at the 'bottom end' of the pay scale (frontline usually), now is there?

Actually, I've been chatting with various line managers at work about the likelihood of future redundancies here and they all seem to think it more likely - where I work at least -that it'll be those slightly higher up the hierarchy (ie Grade Cs and perhaps some Bs) who are more likely to get the chop first.

This does make some practical sense, as it'll publicly demonstrate to the electorate that this is a no-nonsense, balls-on-the-line administration that does everything it says on the tin (and, unfortunately, probably a good deal more ) and it'll save the Library more money as us humble Grade Ds and Es hardly get paid f*** all in the first place. Pretty soon lots of people on short-term contracts that have so far lasted for years will find for the first time that they won't be getting them renewed too.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 13:15
AND they are fucking horribly overpaid. Particularly the overtime they earn from slapping protestors about, and slapping party goers about, and twatting squatters etc, etc.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 29, 2010, 13:55
Jun 29, 2010, 13:18
stray wrote:
AND they are fucking horribly overpaid. Particularly the overtime they earn from slapping protestors about, and slapping party goers about, and twatting squatters etc, etc.

... and arresting people and keeping them in police cells for four hours for having one legal sleeping tablet in their pocket (as happened to me a few months back).
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 13:27
My mate was held for 36 hours just for being at a party recently. They're busy stitching him up as an 'organiser' and a 'dealer'. He is most definitely neither of these things. It would be hysterically funny if it wasn't for the fact it's going to royally screw his life up. Yeah.. he is that 'man in his 50s from Milton Keynes being held by police' you may have heard about on the news re the UK-TEK party recently.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 13:30
oh... and for those here who know him. Please don't phone him, his phone is still in custody.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 13, 2014, 14:48
Jun 29, 2010, 13:57
Yes, I've read all about that episode elsewhere online. Makes my experience look pretty paltry, admittedly, but it's a much more serious demonstration of the same mentality in action.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 14:24
50 redundancies from my employer. Phew, what a relief.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 14:41
mojojojo wrote:
50 redundancies from my employer. Phew, what a relief.

That puts this argument into a little perspective, n'est-ce pas? These are peoples' livings and livelihoods we are talking about, not simply a money-saving exercise. Anyone who can't see the wrong in this is on another planet.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 15:01
stray wrote:

sanshee wrote:

I mean they're even speaking about less money for 'the police'.

Surely that's not a good thing?

Actually, yes, yes it is. It's the only ray of light amongst all these cuts.

Hmm, I didn't post that as an outright defence or condemnation of the police(that'd be daft either way), but since you bring it up it...

... if you've never needed them, you've lead a far more charmed life than I.

If that's the case, good on ye, but until we get rid of all the bastards out there, we eh, certainly 'need the bastards'.

:-/

x
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index