witchcraft

36 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Gates of Hell
Jul 19, 2002, 12:38
Hardly the appropriate forum, i guess, but i just have to wade in here and provide a modicum of balance. i'm not saying i'm a fan of Microsoft... in the same way i'm not "a fan" of any large corporation; but i do think they get far more criticism than they perhaps merit.

As large corporations go, they don't do nearly as much damage as most (in fact, the majority of damage they inflict seems to be upon other large companies). i mean, when compared with a large media conglomerate like AOL Time Warner, they are positively squeaky clean (which is why i no longer have any sympathy for the Netscape as alternative folks... get Mozilla or Opera if you're serious about that line of reasoning; but don't tell me the conglomerate that includes CNN and Time magazine are somehow the ethical choice).

And Apple truly aren't any better. By definition, if you have public shareholders then your company places profit above all other considerations. That's how capitalism works. Just 'cos you hire edgier advertisement execs doesn't make you "less corporate" or less greed orientated.

(i have a serious issue with the Apple Corporation and their use of Einstein's image in their Think Different advert... just as Stephen Fry lost a huge amount of my respect when he did that Nestlé advert with Einstein's image spliced in. Albert was resolutely opposed to such things. He refused to do any commercial endorsements and spoke out against capitalism frequently. He loathed the idea that he be used to sell products. So i just seethe at the cynical manipulation of the man's beliefs when i see "Think Different" (and buy our stuff)

Phew, glad that's off my chest.

i'm not saying the Microsoft Corp are in any way better... and if you dig the Mac OS and use Macs cos you actually think they are better technology; then groovy. i don't; but that's a matter of opinion and personal preference. If, however, someone claims that Apple is "better" in some other way, than the evil MS Empire; then i point them to "Think Different".

Also, those new iMacs with the flat display and desk-lamp form factor appear - to me anyhoo - to be a staggering example of a wasted opportunity. With Microsoft about to launch the tablet PC on the world (a potential tech quantum leap... or perhaps a damp squib; we shall see), it completely confused me as to why Apple didn't keep the iMac in development for another few months and make the screen detachable - convertible into a handly notepad iMac.

Now *that* would have stolen Microsoft's thunder. Instead it's just a Mac, but in a different shape (albeit an aesthetically pleasing one).

Anyways; the MS vs. Apple debate is actually very boring; and this is hardly the place to have it anyways. But don't anyone kid themselves that Apple is somehow fluffier... no sir-ee. On that issue, just "Think Different".
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index