87 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Homeopathic overdose protest in Boots
Feb 04, 2010, 13:43
Merrick wrote:
The attention and treatment given by a homeopath are different to that given by a GP. Being told by a trained person that they're treating your whole person, getting an hour's consultation, it's a lot more involving. I suspect this is why a lot of healers practices work.

Yes, but this shouldn't be discounted as being irrelevant. Spending an hour with a patient discussing their background, their living conditions, their mental worries, their family history, other problems and ailments, while being sympathetic and actually listening to the patient, rather than giving them a 5 minute interview in which the doctor is typically arrogant and high-handed, probably makes a large and significant difference, wouldn't you say?

Of course, it's a lot easier for a homeopath to do this unlike an NHS doctor because you're paying for the priviledge. Nevertheless, it seems a better way of going about things and I'd be inclined to find ways to make this available to all for free rather than try to shut it down.

This is a bit off-topic. I'm as scientifically sceptical as anyone about the homeopathic tinctures, but there's far more to homeopathy than prescribing pills- indeed, the whole focus of homeopathy is finding an alternative to just prescribing pills, which often have harmful side effects. I think the principle of treating the whole person, on concentrating on the importancr of diet and lifestyle are pretty common sense measures, and this is what homeopathy is more about than the media uproar about 'sugar water' scams.

Again, I was a sceptic, but my girlfriend has received remarkable results from a homeopath in the last couple of years. Not from taking useless pills- that was what the NHS doctor tried to give her. But from changing her diet and taking herbal supplements, fish oil etc. I won't go into details, but it's worked, and it makes sense as to why it worked, too.

Don't throw the baby out with the sugar water as far as homeopathy is concerned, is all I'm saying.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index