Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2010, 12:43
Re: Homeopathic overdose protest in Boots
Feb 03, 2010, 12:41
dave clarkson wrote:
they've never made claims for or against their effectiveness.

I regard selling pills in a pharmacy with labels saying they treat specific medical conditions as making a claim for its effectiveness. Don't you?

dave clarkson wrote:
Surely it's your GP who should be responsible for giving the advice you need.

dave clarkson wrote:
Pharmacists are not your doctor -they prepare what your GP prescribes.

Supplying GPs' prescriptions is only part of their job. Chemists and pharmacists are trained to do diagnosis and advise for minor ailments.

dave clarkson wrote:
Don't forget that pharmacies will also give people GSK's Seroxat

As I Said to Handofdave, disapproving of pharmacists selling ineffectual pills does not imply blanket approval of prescribed medicines or the pharmaceutical industry. There are certainly loads of dangerous prescribed medicines around, lots of fake needs generated by Big Pharma. But that's a completely separate issue.

dave clarkson wrote:
where did he use the word 'useless'?

He didn't use the word. Being in a political enquiry and defending his position, he use more florid terms. He said 'I have no evidence before me to suggest that they are efficacious, and we look very much for the evidence to support that'. But he explained that as people want to buy them, he wants to sell them.

That being the case, why not sell statuettes of the Virgin Mary to pray to for healing? Lots of people find them to be very effective. Ditto cola as contraceptive vaginal douche.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index