Just heard on the radio...

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Just heard on the radio...
Sep 30, 2009, 16:27
I actually don't think we're of two widely separated minds here, just that we're looking at the issue from different perspectives.

Tobacco prices are very high here compared to what they used to be. It's led to a huge decline in smoking rates, and the subsequent health costs associated with them. That's a good thing. My wife smokes it, but doesn't gripe about the higher prices... she admits that it's a choice she makes to smoke that nobody is forcing on her.

Likewise, nobody is forced to buy alcohol. People ARE forced to pay for housing (unless they want to be homeless... a condition that high rents are forcing on some anyway).

I don't know how you'd go about doing this without raising objections about fairness, but to my mind the high octane booze should be taxed under a different rate than quality beers and wines. As long as the state is trying to manipulate people's consumption, they may as well try to steer people away from the 'rotgut' and towards the stuff that isn't specifically designed to get people fucked up in a big hurry.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index