60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 18:30
Re: Just heard on the radio...
Sep 28, 2009, 18:26
handofdave wrote:
"Clearly, if it gets to a dependency - not a state I'd wish on anyone - then they do 'need' these things to an extent. And,if it is a dependency then price means fuck all."

So, do we make booze cheap and plentiful to keep the alcoholics from impoverishing themselves? That's not really doing them much of a favor... it's just making it easier for them to drink themselves to death.

And if you are not an addict, surely this isn't a backbreaker.

I think the 'problem' of raising taxes on the stuff is overstated. What are we talking about, a few more cents on each bottle?

I agree that military expenditures are taking away from more pressing domestic issues.. both our countries blow insane amounts there.

But above and beyond the actual money, it's the attitude of the mind set that implements these schemes that I find troubling. As I was trying to say in another post, the emphasis on punitive style measures seems to reflect a lack of willingness to address the social issues at the root of these problems. And of course, it is a cynical vote-booster. Hit the scum-bags: Vote for Me! Plus of course, all us 'sinners' get hit with the same missile, regardless of the extent of our 'sinning'. It deflects the problem away from being a huge divide between the rich and the poor, social division, poverty and so on, to being the fact that you can drown your sorrows for £1.50 or something and we can't have that!

Plus the rank hypocrisy of it all. If you're a junkie/piss head but work in the coke snorting city, well, that's not being scummy or dependent - that's recreational. If you're a poor slob, well, you're a messy addict.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index