Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 17:15
Re: Just heard on the radio...
Sep 28, 2009, 17:15
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Great! Let's charge more for food to bring down obesity!

I'm not against raising prices on high fat, high salt junk food. It's been proposed here that the crap that's most responsible for obesity be taxed.

Thing is, the food industry profits from selling non-nutritive, cheap corn-based sugary offal, but the results are that we've got an epidemic of bad health problems that further enrich the pharmaceutical industry, for example, as diabetes cases rise. It's a vicious cycle, and it's not a big stretch to call it a conspiracy, either.

High fat, high sugar, low-quality food also makes people stupid and lethargic. Not a trend that ought to be encouraged.

Sorry Dave, I wasn't being entirely serious. I'm just not a fan of what you call "sin tax". Who determines what is a sin? Besides, the money raised doesn't always go to the appropriate places, but instead just fills the government coffers where they've spent too much on other stuff I don't agree with like frinstance the war machine.

In other words I don't think these sort of taxes are really designed to reduce "sin" rather than screw more cash out of the populace, usually most affecting the poorer parts of society in the process.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index