Just heard on the radio...

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Just heard on the radio...
Sep 28, 2009, 16:06
I don't know, Shanshee... do you think that keeping alcohol cheap is doing anyone any favors? Russia has just increased the price of beer to help curb their high rates of alcoholism. It's the least drastic way of dealing with the issue.

I'm not opposed to taxation of 'sins'... I think we all need to pay a price for the privilege of being able to purchase a product that costs society millions in health problems, crime, property damage, and death. Who pays those costs? It should be paid by the people who supply and use the stuff.

My wife is a tobacco user... she's OK with the high 'sin tax' placed on it because she knows she doesn't NEED it... it's a personal choice she makes to use it and she understands that it costs society a price healthwise. Likewise, I don't NEED to drink ale, and if it got too expensive for me to enjoy regularly I'd simply cut back. Which I need to do anyway.

For some people who are chronic users, perhaps making their drug of choice less affordable is the only thing that will make them quit. I guess you could call that a 'nanny state' tactic, but if it helps to reduce binging...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index