9577 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2009, 18:01
Re: Stop Thatcher having a state funeral
Aug 21, 2009, 17:59
pooley wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
pooley wrote:
elegant chaos wrote:
I refer you to the last sentence of my previous post.

Ok, that was a flip answer. And curse you for putting me in a position where I am defending Thatch!!!
But,
Without a doubt she was one of the most popular leaders this country has ever seen. A lot of people STILL call for her to return to politics, still get dewy eyed when talking about her time in parliament.Still think she was one of the best things that ever happened to this country.

...mostly people who are too young to remember the 80s in any detail at all, in my experience of arguing these things.

Even many of the people who voted for her three times realised that she'd lost the plot by the end of her time in office. Even the majority of the cabinet ministers she appionted of her own ministers were pragmatic enough to realise that.

No,I don't agree. Many people of my age still mis her. And people that are older see it as some kind of golden age of politics! ha!

Even some of the Torie grandees kind of pussyfoot around the whole 'Thatcher' era these days, apart from the really detached, dozy buggers who haven't a clue - Captain Duck Hut and the like. Why do you think 'Dave' Cameron has spent so much time and money trying to convince the electorate that the all new, down with it Tories are far removed from Thatcher and her boot boys?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index