Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Stop Thatcher having a state funeral
Aug 20, 2009, 12:50
Merrick wrote:
pooley wrote:
I find the Idi amin Pinochet thing a bit ridiculous.

Indeed. It's a common thing for people to extend a principle to a more extreme example in order to show why the principle is wrong. I'm presuming you're intelligent enough to be able to do such imaginative thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Personally, I find picking out the second paragraph and dismissing it as 'ridiculous' is lazy. Laziness because it goes to no effort to be imaginative, to explain *why* you think that at all, and so serve no purpose other than to thumb your nose and go 'gah!'.

Argue the point, about the point and none of this nonsense.

OK, I'll do that. Oh no, hang on a minute, I'd already written that before the bit you take issue with.

Merrick wrote:
Thatcher may go but Thatcherism survives.

Venerating her and what she stood for would make the world a worse place. whereas decrying her and having people be jubilant at her demise and dropping her cadaver down a disused mine shaft would lead to people understanding that there is a widespread hatred of her for what she did and what she stood for.

Merrick, I think you make some valid points on this, and other posts. Don't agree with all of them, but you wouldn't expect me to.

I just am ot in favour of that style of arguing - the extending a principle to a more extreme example in order to show why the principle is wrong - because it is such a blunt tool. And Unhelpful. And largely useless. different situations demand different arguements - you could use what youb said to explain why Hitler should have a state funeral - or why Churchill shouldn't. Why we shoul;d have invaded Iraq, why we shouldn't.

I know you like it, and find it useful - I don't. Sorry
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index