Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2009, 10:18
Re: In Memorian: Margaret Thatcher
Jun 16, 2009, 10:16
jshell wrote:
Ironically, the people who brought us peace in Ireland were the 9/11 terrorists

Not sure how you work that out. The Good Friday Agreement was signed more than three years befroe 9/11.

Popel Vooje wrote:
I agree with everything you've said except for one point - the Blair administration did introduce a new points system for means-testing incapacity benefit claims

That's not really disagreeing with me, though. I certainly didn't mean to say that Labour have made the nation - or even just the benefits system - fair. There is a long list of really fucking awful things they've done.

In the bigger picture, their war crimes far exceed Thatcher's. However, she should still be convicted at The Hague.

But I was saying that domestically they've not really done anything bad that the Tories wouldn't have done, and they've done a whole load of measures that improve life for the poor that the Tories would never have done.

geoffrey_prime wrote:
We'll see...when the time comes. If you and a minority are out jigging and defecating, on that fateful day, I predict you will be totally eclipsed by the vast numbers who will choose to pay their respects.

I love the sneeriness of 'minority'. Geoffrey, I could say that if you and a minority vote Conservative I predict you will be eclipsed by the vast numbers who vote for someone else.

But I don't really think that a view being a minority position means it has less meaning.

I only pay respects to people who deserve respect. If you don't want to dance on her grave, you dance on the graves of everyone who died because of the hospitals she closed, the grave of the self-esteem of everyone whose education she ruined, the graves of whole communities that the devastated with her war on trade unions. Would you 'pay your respects' to Richard Nixon too? How about Thatcher's friend Pinochet?

What I really like about the Thatcher thing is this unprecedentedness. When has there ever been a grounswell of people waiting to celebrate the death of a public figure before?

At 6pm on the Saturday after she dies, people are planning to meet in Trafalgar Square to celebrate. I suspect they'll be obstructed and beaten by police. Even then, fine. That in itself is a great image for us to send around the world. I know where I'll be.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index