89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2009, 11:53
Re: In Memorian: Margaret Thatcher
Jun 15, 2009, 11:50
I agree with many of the things you decry Blair for. But he was just following a pattern long established, and which Thatcher was a very vicious version of.

geoffrey_prime wrote:
Home Office, which clearly have let the Police get out of control.

Who brought in the riot cops? Who ordered them in to the miners as a political paramilitary force? Who ordered them in at Wapping, Greenham Common, the Battle of the Beanfield to beat and maim pickets, protesters and hippies with impunity?

geoffrey_prime wrote:
the war criminal, Blair

Whilst I'm tempted to give this a one word answer - Belgrano - I think US cruise missiles on our soil, allowing our bases to be used for war crimes like the bombing of Tripoli, and the purchase of Trident should also be read out to a court in The Hague.

geoffrey_prime wrote:
the appearance on the UK mainland of suicide bombers

Not quite sure how Blair did that.

But in Thatcher's day there were bombers we could meet an negotiate with. Thatcher, though, refused and in doing so condemned the people of Northern Ireland (and selected GB targets) to terror, maiming and death.

Credit where it's due, within weeks of taking over John Major opened dialogue with those engaged in the war in Ireland. Blair's lot get the credit for the Good Friday Agreement - and they do deserve a lot - but much of the groundwork was laid by the Major administration.

The Blair government must be remembered for its war crimes above all. Not just in Iraq, but in Belgrade and Afghanistan too.

However, domestically they reversed, or at least slowed, the Thatcherite war on the poor. Blair reinstated the minimum wage. He brought in Tax Credits to end the poverty trap. He stopped the slashing of benefits, health care and education. for all their iniquity and cosying to money, Labour would never give us the fucking poll tax.

Also worth mentioning is the Tories attacks on queers. Labour equalised the age of consent and gave us civil partnerships. Now that's in large part to do with shifts in wider society rather than government taking the lead. But there's no way the party that gave us Section 28 would have done that stuff so readily.

I'd have a little jig on Blair's grave, but Thatcher's gets the full on ceilidh followed by loud and abundant defecation.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index