Steiner Education

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Steiner Education
Jun 07, 2002, 14:51
hey Mr B....have you suddenly become me in disguise?
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 15:05
Private schools are private schools and inherently bad.

Steiner schools are private schools, therefore....

For more on the more dubious aspects os Steiner Schools (it does seem to be largely critical of the US and german versions, but i daresy many of the criticisms still hold):
http://www.watchman.org/reltop/waldorfcontroversy.htm
or
http://www.stelling.nl/simpos/anthroposophy.htm
(not that I'd wholly agree with everything they say in there)
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 15:17
If you ask me it's more worrying that today's ordinary schools are just coaching their pupils into passing the sats - they're not learning how to apply knowledge, they're just being trained to parrot it back for an exam.
and furthermore
this is really stressing out young children who should be enjoying school, not worrying about exams and being 'judged'
and furtherMore,
I think it's all quite 1984 with the bosses of the workplace encouraging such narrow education, to make meeker employees.
What's wrong with being able to describe a colour as well as do your arithmetic? That's breeding thinking creative people - and they're individuals, and that means trouble.
come on then
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 16:10
I was just about to ask those that object on the principal of them being for 'the wealthy' if they would object to the system in state schools or if they just don't like the ideals behind the system full stop?

The question wasn't "is it politically correct?" it was "will my child be better off?"

Answers on a forum reply to ....
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 16:34
>The question wasn't "is it politically correct?" it was "will my child be better off?"

Actually the question was ‘whats your experience of it?’, but never mind.

From the little I’ve read I would still be dubious about implementing Steiner philosophy wholesale (too much pseudo-spiritual bullshit in the core philosophy for me), but would whole-heartedly agree that its emphasis on letting children develop as free-thinking creative individuals with a respect for others should be at the centre of a well-funded state education system.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 16:43
The information may be slightly biased as it's from "A ministry of Christian discernment" in Watchman's case but they're normally pretty accurate. As far as I'm concerned it just makes it sound more interesting, "Mummy, daddy, look what I learned in necromancy today" and so on. Having some other outlandish beliefs doesn't necessarily invalidate someone's life's work though, Isaac Newton being a prime example.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 16:49
>>Actually the question was ‘whats your
>> experience of it?’, but never mind.

Quite right. I actually had GiW's second posting in mind which was leaning more towards .. I want some opinions as to how good/bad it is so I can decide if it's right for me kiddie.

Anyhow, I agree with your latter comments whole heartedly. I don't think the system as a whole would be right for all, but something similar would. (Please don't ask me how I would change it :-) )

I seriously considered it for my youngest because she is ... erm ... how shal I say it? ... unusual in her approach to things and did not learn well in the present state system. This was one reason for moving to Ireland. She has fared better here but not as much as I'd hoped.

She actually learns much more when left to her own devices. Unfortunately for her carreer prospects this isn't a lot of use as she (at the moment) has no desire to do more than the very basics at maths/English unless she gets really engaged in a certain area then she goes mad on it. Weird and kinda hard to explain properly.

I don't know if a Steiner style education would have benfitted her, but I do know that in her case it could not have been worse than the state system.

I didn't like the idea of paying for something that I think the gov't should provide properly, but for my daughter's sake I would have done it if it was the right thing for her.

I would also have pestered my MP like a bastard to get the educational system sorted so that others didnt have to do this.

Everyone should have the proper education provided for them that is right for them.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 21:51
HAHahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jun 07, 2002, 21:53
BTW that was to the Watchman article, a load of bollocks that could be equally applied to rock music if you were paranoid enough.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jun 08, 2002, 14:21
every time i click onto this page, i misread this thread title as "Stoner Education", and have visions of people sending their kids off to be shown how to skin up, and make bucket bongs; by ageing Grateful Dead fans.

(just thought i'd share that with you)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index