64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: It's Too Fucking Good For Him...
Dec 15, 2008, 16:54
pooley wrote:

As ever I agree with the lovely shanshee.
It does seem like a smug thing to say, but when my little girl came along I understood. Other peoples children are great, and you can love them dearly - I have many nephews and nieces that I think the world of. But your own kid is a completely different ball game.

You have to have them to know, however smug that sounds!!

It doesn't sound at all smug to me. This is one of the (relatively rare) cases where I'd disagree with Merrick. There are all sorts of unique emotions that only kick into place when you have a child of your own.

I don't have kids, let me point out, but have studied psychoanalysis. Like almost all animals, humans possess extremely powerful biological drives that exist to ensure that an incredibly strong protective bond develops between parent and child. One can certainly develop strong relationships with the children of other people (nieces, nephews, etc.) but those relationships won't be of the same form as the parent-child relationship.

Interestingly, it does seem possible for people who adopt children when they are still infants to develop a very similar bond which suggests that it may be as much a factor of the succoring / dependency relationship as it is of biology, though there's still quite a lot of disagreement on that.

All of this is utterly irrelevant, however, with regards to this particular murder or social / criminal policy in general. We do not -- and should not ever -- condone or justify actions based upon the extreme emotions of those involved. If your child is harmed by someone, then it is up to the laws of your society to address that. By definition, extreme grief and anger leave us incapable of acting in a rational manner. And justice has its basis in reason and understanding.

We forget that at our peril.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index