Teetering on the brink of the new Depression

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Teetering on the brink of the new Depression
Sep 24, 2008, 13:43
I'll indulge in adding to my previously mentioned metaphor for humanity's stage of growth being that of a late adolescent...

Not only do we possess power without wisdom, but as you liken our way of life to a form of mass schizophrenia, the teen years are the age when that genetically passed on form of the disease emerges.

If humanity is a sort of collective teenager, these are the most dangerous years we have ahead of us. We will either run ourselves off the road or survive to become a mature species.

The teenage human totality is rightly proud of it's achievements, but also selfishly unwilling to give up the dangerous ones, or repeal it's stubborn denial of responsibility and accept that it does bear the consequences of its actions.

Often, this learned trait does not become integrated until the teenager experiences trauma as a result of it's own behavior. We've been experiencing this in cycles for as long as we've been around, but we're obviously reaching a critical juncture in the timeline of the planet.

And of course, humanity as a whole does not follow the same path- I'm generalizing quite freely, just in conjecture; a way of thinking about such a huge subject at a condensed angle.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index