Tories and unemployment benefits

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2008, 16:49
Re: Tories and unemployment benefits
Aug 19, 2008, 16:06
The training I was offered was as follows - a long list of things a few of which I said "I'll be happy to try that" only to be told that all but one of the options offered had in fact been cut from the scheme due to budget contraints. The option left was training to be an IT help desk person. "What's wrong with that?" you might ask. Well I had actually pointed that the last time I did anything like that I ended up on anti-depressants and in counselling for 2 1/2 years and so I didn't really think it was a good idea.

So I ended up in what I called the stink room*. This basically meant that the new deal training consisted of spending all day in a room with people, some of whom had serious mental problems, some of whom stole stuff off each other and some of whom would happily turn a crossword puzzle problem into a physical confrontation. The bulk of the day required you to be in a room scanning the job pages or doing word puzzles. Very self-improving - one sense of worth came on in leaps and bounds. Very occasionally a representatibe of "A4E" (Action for Employment!) would offer someone a 6 -week stint of unpaid work "experience". On the first day of the 'course" we were told that we were here because "The system had failed.." us. In a way it had. My tenure in the stink room actively prevented me from getting out and about and selling myself and looking for the opportunities I was seeking. To be honest this felt less like help and encouragement and more like a punitive and pointless situation

Problems I have frequently encountered in seeking work is that the system that stands has no place for me. Whenever I get any photo work I declare it as you're supposed to do and the forms I fill in have hardly anything applicable to my situation.

*called thus because for some reason the main room stank and they refused to open any windows.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index