U-Know! Forum »
Tories and unemployment benefits

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Tories and unemployment benefits
Aug 18, 2008, 13:35
My other half was at school with some of these guys, now in their 40s, who have spent a lifetime not only not working but with a frightening aversion to even going to the library FFS. There is something cultural going on and it's stuck and it ain't good.

I just don't accept that whole mentality portrayed in that awful sitcom 'Bread', where a cheeky dole scrounging family have five cars parked outside and a big kitty jar with £100s a week flooding in etc.
Most of the 'dole dependants' (when it gets that bad, and let's not pussy foot coz it actually does) are more Cash Converters and Provvy lines at Xmas, then hiding from the collector the rest of the year (you know what? I've actually seen this from my window!).

I want money, I need it, so now the wee one's starting school I'm getting myself a part time job but when I wasn't working I spent the rest of the time getting on with a degree (nearly done).

P'raps we need to encourage some people to engage themselves in something other than work first, just a bit of routine, purpose. I really don't give a stuff about statistics here, they're often reductive and pretty useless, just 'looking around you' is often enough.

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index