U-Know! Forum »
proud children

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

u can't beat yr brain for entertainment
Apr 27, 2002, 12:52
Thanks Pixie. Hey, I have been reading people's contributions but I still think there's something flawed in the system.

Firstly, one may decide to educate their kids so as to increase their chances of achieving MORE and BETTER academic results. That is not what I was referring to by 'home schooling'. I can believe this is done in the US as a way to make people MORE perfect, MORE smart, MORE competitive, etc - still, that is just out of the question.

What I am referring to is a total independence from the school curriculum, say, educate your kids in a different way. Let's take rural populations in remote areas of the world. They may not get 'educated' in the school sense of the word, but surely they get a much BETTER education than anyone else in the west. Anyone who has travelled to third world countries has witnessed this. Children are, to put it bluntly, just more full-on (not to say look happier).

Of one thing I am convinced. Kids need freedom and fresh air. A dull, grey-coloured brick school full of uptight cerebral teachers can only turn them nasty, cynical and melancholy. Send them Out There and they will always surprise you and be grateful to you. It's like they were also demanding for their right to 'party in the countryside' yet they do not understand or do not know how to tell you. They crave for fun, yet, they resort to the very techniques presented to them by adults in a modern world of computer games and gadgets.

And still, anyone who claims to get bored in the countryside is an inveterate Bore.

So, I was thinking, if one decides to keep their children away from the city and educate them without them having to learn maths and 'history' (ho hum) to what extent can the parents play with these limits so they are still accepted by society later on? Hard to tell, but I am sure I will find someone who's doing this already. Like, gipsies or travellers. Kids get a much better education from nature and REAL people around them than by suffering the daily routine of a 9-5 existence in dreary, individualistic (and sometimes dangerous) surroundings.

Only a thought, perhaps Utopian, but then again, human societies have been perfectly capable of this for millenia until recently.

U-Know! Forum Index