U-Know! Forum »
proud children

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pixie
111 posts

Re: proud children
Apr 23, 2002, 22:16
i am in agreement with alot of whats been said...theres alot to be said both for and against education in schools...have to say pondered this thought before my kids went to mainstream school especially after a particularly nasty incident with my 5 year old sons reception teacher who insisted my son was incapable of taking instructions and must have been deaf...the fact that she made him sit alone in a corner and shouted at him constantly and the fact he despised her obviously had nothng to do with it.
i work in a secondary school supporting children with emotional and behavioural problems and although i see the benfits of it i cringe most of the time at the inane comments and pathetic rules that are inflicted on our young minds and creative futures....
saying that, the social skills can be seen as important and i do believe that i don't know if i could have done a better job...i think the balance is taking responsibilty for our youngsters when they are in school and working together..i listen to too many parents who palm their children off between the hours of 9-3 and moan about the amount of homework...education is seen by them as the schools responsibilty yet i believe its shared...the kids can learn so much from us as forward thinking parents / guardians / friends as well as the wealth of information offered by a , hopefully, good school. i hope i am getting the balance right with my two, educating at home and encouraging what i know to be 'flattened' by the education system yet encouraging the work / skils/ technology / educational opportunites that i know i can't offer....harmony..i hope!
oh, I know that Emma Restall-Orr home educates her son, so she might have a better set of words to say from that perspective.....e-mail via www.druidorder.demon.uk
hope my ramblings are of some help
education!education!education!
p
x

U-Know! Forum Index