U-Know! Forum »
proud children

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spirit
182 posts

Re: proud children
Apr 22, 2002, 15:15
think that was the point I was trying to make - perhaps a bit obliquely (like not at all) - isn't one of the reasons that children educated outside school get better academic results the fact that certainly a large minority (if not a majority) of those parents involved want to hothouse their kids and are interested only in producing youngest person to get A in A level whatever. Not in producing ye olde well rounded person.

2 points against as I see it are 1. you exercise a good deal of control over who your kids mix with (if you educate them at home) & despite your best efforts they are probably not going to meet the range of people whose views substantially differ from yours - I assume, for example, no-one on this site is best mates with anyone who is in the National Fromt - but your children may well meet children at school whose parents hold those sorts of views - you may want to warn your kids away from them or leave them to judge for themselves - but you may close down access to some of the less palatable facts of life if you're operating from a hypothetical standpoint.

2. Would you have wanted your parents to educate you at home or do you feel you might have missed out on some of your best mates/experiences etc?

on the topic of Barbie/girlie pink I'm trialling an overdose strategy. ie they can have Barbie on anything & everything they want (waste bins, pyjamas etc) rather like letting them eat ice cream every meal for days on end in the hopes they get sick of it

xx spirit

U-Know! Forum Index