International buzz about Obama

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Bonzo the Cat
Bonzo the Cat
138 posts

Re: International buzz about Obama
Jan 10, 2008, 11:05
Not what I would call a subtle pov. I'd say the US didn't do much more wrong than any major European country did the coupe of centuries before. We destroyed our forests, wiped out entire sections of populations (and after all, weren't these "Americans" Europeans in the first place)? What I'm saying: even though I don't like US politics, what's the point about being anti-American? Is it because they have a slightly over-patriotist reflex? Well, if many countries would've had that in Europe, they wouldn't have run into problems with all their nationalist and extreme right-wing parties, who fed on the patriotic tendencies that people couldn't voice. I mean, the whole of European politics is, under influence of past extreme right electoral successes, moving towards the right. And still we shit on the States.

There's one thing that the US needs, and that's MASSIVE amounts of money invested in EDUCATION. And I mean basic-level. Now most cash flows to the pyramid top, such as top universities etc. It's a class-education system. And it costs. Invest there, make it better at the basic level and cheaper at the top level, and in one generation it'll be a much better place to live, because people will be less prone to go fighting some war for oil against some desert dictator who they believe has bombed the WTC. I don't mean just to to read an write, though that's basic, but I mean some real critical thinking. Everybody should be able to read a newspaper from A to Z and while doing so, be able to at least put some question marks with some information - or at least *know* that not all is true what they read, without necessarily being able to say what is or isn't. But how can you expect that, when current education is based on accepting what someone in front of the class tells you and reproducing that. Language and maths are to be learned, but stuff like history, geography, economy, artistic expression... the things you can do with that!

And, mind you, Europe has to watch out, because their education system is getting a bit old-fashioned too, and they haven't moved away from ex-cathaedra teaching either.

But really, holding the US responsible for Native slaughter just doesn't cut it you know - Europe can be held responsible for creating the middle east conflict by putting Israel where it is, prosecuting Jews (Nazi Germany kinda takes the blame, but before that, there was a broad antisemitic basis in Europe), creating the slaughter of Native Americans in the first place (apart from originating from Europeans, remember that the major exploration of the west US was undertaken by Scottish and Irish farmers who had been forcefully driven from heir European lands). No, blamng the US for anything beside their foreign policy is deliberate blindness to what's happened and is happening in Europe.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index