A tax on the careful?

10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spirit
182 posts

Re: A tax on the careful?
Feb 21, 2002, 15:55
my tuppenceworth

WOuld be happy to pay more tax. (Actually there are one or two small caveats like but not if you're going to spend it on weapons)

As one of those smokers who are keeping the NHS afloat I probably have a vested interest in saying that we shouldn't make NHS treatment decisions on the basis of someone's lifestyle -

I believe this ends in very dodgy territory eg in extremis you could get the don't treat people with AIDS after all they brought it on themselves - from the christian right

So I say treat 'em all. I don't smoke in order to ensure I get back at least what I've paid in taxes over the years when I get some terminal illness. I smoke cos I'm too stupid to give up and I can't quite convince myself it'll happen to me (despite being an actuary who really should know better)

I agree with FourWinds that part (a lot) of the problem with funding is overgreedy pharmaceutical companies pricing drugs at ridiculous levels. This is a particularly repellent practice especially in relation to 3rd world countries.

Same with benefits in general there may be some people who take the piss and try and screw the system (& in my experience seems to take more effort than working) but that doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Pay the taxes and be glad you can afford to.

xx spirit

U-Know! Forum Index