A tax on the careful?

10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Re: A tax on the careful?
Feb 21, 2002, 15:23
You're both right, its a perspective thing. You make me feel better because I realise that the money involved is quite trivial. Indeed I see it as an insurance policy, and probably a good bargain at that. I NEVER want to see the health service privatised, that people have to pay for eyetests and dentistry is sickening enough. I aint getting at the poorly educated or financed (the issues here are very complex and really a very separate issue) and I know Im lucky in both these respects (I aint kidding - I REALLY feel very lucky). As I wrote my rant, I began to come to the conclusion that my frustration was with a minority that I feel have the knowledge and ability to take preventative and curative action yet dont. Am I right in feeling that the welfare state has removed personal resposibility, or have people always done things that they know is bad for them/society and avoided things they know is good? In my mind there is some contradiction here. The welfare state is about everyone contributing what they can for the good of society as a whole (hmm, what do I do?) so if I have the knowledge and ability should I not be helping society by looking after myself? Who in the UK doesn't know that walking is better for most people in so many ways than driving? How many people still drive a reasonable walking distance? Am I just too mean?

Grufty - I raised smoking with a positive note, I know what they say about taxes (can you tell me how they worked that out?) - I was not sniping at smokers.

Does anyone know how the wider tax-paying population views this issue? Both your answers should be used as education in the case that, as I suspect, there may be some great resistance the to the raising of taxes 'to pay for the NHS' (they say).

U-Know! Forum Index