Nov 15, 2006, 09:57
Good I say.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6146442.stm
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: £25 for fourbyfours in London
Nov 15, 2006, 10:06
Aye, although I think they could go a step further and ban 4x4s in London altogether; why in the name of buggery would ANYONE in their right mind want to drive round London in a 4x4 other than to show off and to be antisocial? The thing is by imposing greater charges on the owners of the swanky new Jeeps and things it's not necessarily going to put them off because these people tend not to be too short of money. It's like if they increase the car tax on these vehicles; the people who have to give them up will be the people living in rural areas and NOT the wankers who swagger round London in them. Still, if you have to pay £25 every day just to drive into London I suppose it might make people think twice. Let's hope so.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Nov 15, 2006, 10:42
Well if they can afford it I don't care if they're paying. My boss said this mornign that the congestion charge had worked so well they aren't making as much money out of it as expected - people are avoiding the centre. So if they can make the money up out of rich people so be it.
Some total twat on the radio last night said 'it's just envy'. Yes that's right I really want one of those ridiculous buses to drive round it whilst polluting the atmosphere and giving children asthma. You git.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 15, 2006, 11:09
Oh cars. We don't drive, (too bloody scared to!) but I do notice, on a far smaller scale than this, the amount of people who use their cars to go to the shop for milk etc. It's really pathetic. And the amount of children who spend half their lives in a car seat.
There's this argument that deisel cars are less pollutive, but in order to make that a reality, they'd have to start making them here, as they cause enormous amounts of air pollution just bringing them over in the first place! Can't we make them here? We can't have no cars period, as even doctors and nurses etc have to go into built up areas at times. I'm no car fan in the least, I'll never own one, but I feel the government is just offsetting again. If it seems to be doing some good then fine, but I hate these bastards getting off the hook yet again.
x
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 15, 2006, 16:45
Yeah that bugs me too; regardless of what people drive I think it's absolutely pathetic to drive to the chip shop or drive the kids to school when everyone would benefit from the walk (and yes obviously if the school is three miles away that might be asking a bit much!) As for driving in a city like London, which is overrun by tubes, busses and trains there is no excuse to drive in the city centre at all.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 15:52
I can see a problem with this in that the congestion zone will be extending West to encompass a large part of Chelsea, the very area that gave it's name to the Chelsea tractor. Surely this means that people who live within the zone will be able to use their 4x4s for nipping into town with impunity. The £25 charge will only affect those who come from outside the zone and go past the cameras into the charge zone.
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 18:51
This topic done the rounds in the other forums not long ago. I drive a vehicle classed as a 4x4 which I take into london most days to carry out my work. My vehicle is packed to the rafters with equipment which I need to carry out my daily work. My vehicle only has a 2.0 litre engine which as far as I know is the same size as the average car on London's roads. As far as I'm concerned my 4 x 4 is no more of a polluter than any of the other vehicles alongside me on the roads so quite why I should face a £25 per day fine is beyond me. I currently pay £8 per day congestion charge plus £21.50 to park my car in an NCP and also fuel charges on the ridiculously slow roads (caused by Ken & TFL by fixing the lights to stay red too long!) Jumping in and 4x4 bashing is as ridiculous as making statements about any other group of people based on stereotypes and media bollocks. I don't know how many of you live in London but you really need to see that Ken and his lunatics are just theiving money from londoners in any way they can. I also pay £10 a month on my council tax to pay for the 2012 olympics which in my opinion is a worthless crock of shit. I guess I should put up and shut up though as I'm one of those rich London wankers driving a chelsea tractor and living the high life. Tut tut, me thinks not.
BJx
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 20:42
As far as I know it's not being done on engine size but on the actual amount of CO2 the car produces per mile or per gallon or whatever. The polluter pays is not an unreasonable assumption, surely.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 20:43
no I think it's for anyone driving in the centre of london so the chelsea tractors will get bit. I believe.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 23:01
Rhiannon wrote:
The polluter pays is not an unreasonable assumption, surely.

Actually it is. The reasonable approach is "the polluter is prevented polluting" and not "the polluter pays". Sadly we live in an unreasonable world where people believe that because they have to drive a car that it's OK to push toxic fumes down my throat and add yet more human damage to our already fragile planet.

"But my job requires me to drive!"

You'll have to forgive me if I take into account the damage you're doing, and say "I don't give a fuck".
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index